Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine alarm

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author Canada
LAZ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3077

engine alarm

Postby LAZ » July 30th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Greetings all. I have a first time issue which has my mystified. Hopefully someone can help. For the first time, when under load, my alarm goes off when my twin mercs reach 1600+ RPM. Then goes off when revs are decreased below 1600. Did this under test 3 different times. Yet when I checked bilges thoroughly with sniffer etc, there was no gas or vapor leak, which is what is supposed to engage the alarm. Anybody have ant idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: engine alarm

Postby Viper » July 30th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Are you talking about an "engine alarm" or a fume detector alarm? The two are different, one is warning you that there is something on the engine that needs your attention, and the other is warning that there are gas fumes in the engine compartment.

By some of your description, it sounds like the fume detector. The sensor modules don't last forever and will sometimes sound for no reason. It should also be noted there are other things that will affect them such as batteries gassing off. You can also get erratic alarms if the sensor got oily bilge water splashed on it. OR, it's sniffing fumes that you can't! If it's original equipment though, I'd say it's time to replace the system with a new one. It's a safety concern if it's not working properly.

Do you smell any exhaust down there?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 30th, 2020, 10:28 pm

if its the engine alarm(s), they are triggered by low oil pressure, high temperature engine and high transmission temperature.
If I had to take a guess, I would say you are tripping on high engine temp since it happens when you are loading the engines. When was the last time you replaced the impellers?

If indeed it is a fume detector, refer to vipers comments.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 31st, 2020, 6:38 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post if its the engine alarm(s), they are triggered by low oil pressure, high temperature engine and high transmission temperature.
If I had to take a guess, I would say you are tripping on high engine temp since it happens when you are loading the engines. When was the last time you replaced the impellers?

If indeed it is a fume detector, refer to vipers comments.

+1

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2020, 7:46 am

Just to add to the previous....fume detectors are looking for explosive gases , examples are gasoline fumes, propane gas, hydrogen from off gassing batteries etc....except for the hydrogen which is lighter than air, both the gasoline and propane fumes are more dense than air so they will be located in the lowest part of the bilge, that is where the detector sensor should be. They are set to alarm at around 20 % of the LEL ( lower explosive limit ), long before there is enough concentration for ignition.

Exhaust fumes on the other hand will only set one of those off if the engine is poorly tuned ( running rich ) to the point of raw gas in the exhaust fume and you have an exhaust leak in the compartment.

Like has been said it is very important you figure out what alarm you are hearing so you are safe here.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
LAZ
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 3077

Postby LAZ » July 31st, 2020, 11:03 am

Thanks guys for all guidance. Pretty sure it is just a gas and propane leak and battery issue detector, but I could find no evidence of any. If it is a faulty sensor issue, does it make sense that they would only go off over 1600 RPM? Don't believe I have a specific "engine" alarm, but will check manuals.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2020, 11:25 am

Just remember previous owners could have installed anything down there, so a real good look is in order. Look for wires going to the exhaust hoses near clamps, follow all the wiring you can find in the bilge area etc.

Do you have inboards with shafts or inboard outboard I/O type propulsion.

Fume alarms are not tied to any engine performance, they just monitor and alarm.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 31st, 2020, 12:47 pm

Is the sensor next to incoming air ducts? Maybe the wind at 1600 rpm is enough to set off the sensor.

I have a refrigerant leak detector, and if you blow lightly on the sensor, the thing beeps as if refrigerant is present. I can assure you, I do not create refrigerant in my lungs.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 31st, 2020, 4:22 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post I do not create refrigerant in my lungs.

But you do exhale CO2 among other things..... :-D ....that leak detector may pick that up based on refrigerant make up.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 31st, 2020, 8:01 pm

An ultrasonic leak detector detects the sound of the leak not the refrigerant itself.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”