Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anchor light bulb

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Mike11
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 350 Mariner

Anchor light bulb

Postby Mike11 » August 1st, 2020, 1:17 pm

I just purchased a 1997 Carver 350 Mariner and the anchor light bulb is missing from the pole on the arch. Anyone know what size the replacement bulb is and where I might get one. Thanks for any advise. Love our new to us boat!

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Anchor light bulb

Postby buster53 » August 1st, 2020, 2:56 pm

When you find out what kind of bulb you had, make sure you replace it with an LED equivalent.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 2nd, 2020, 9:11 am

Most likely a single contact 12v bulb with 2 side pins across from each other any auto store would have one, but as stated by buster a LED replacement would be your best choice.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 2nd, 2020, 10:18 am

We can't assume the fixture is the original one so the brand and model would help for sure. A picture of the inside where the bulb goes would help, some are screw in, some are twist on, some are festoon. If it's a Perko fixture, they have LED replacement bulbs for some models but really, there are LED bulbs for just about all bulb types these days. What you want to ensure is that it meets coast guard visibility requirements for your area like 2 nautical miles for example, some areas may be more. This might help you narrow down the brand and model....

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat+anchor+light+pole&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjG7sfj2vzqAhWGBt8KHe4vAdIQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=boat+anchor+light+pole&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAA6BAgAEBg6BggAEAUQHjoGCAAQCBAeOgYIABAHEB46CAgAEAcQBRAeOggIABAIEAcQHjoECAAQHlDVIlipeGCbfGgAcAB4AIAB2AGIAfURkgEGMC4xNi4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=1MomX8a0IoaN_Abu34SQDQ&bih=608&biw=1229

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 2nd, 2020, 7:58 pm

I was 'on the hook' a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the anchor light was not working. It was a strange looking torpedo type of bulb and there are 2 per fixture. I believe they are wired in 'series'; if one fails, neither will work. They stocked it at my local marina but did not have LED version.
I did find an image online of the LED version.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/291523815 ... -l1000.jpg

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 2nd, 2020, 8:28 pm

Those are called festoon style bulbs. DP, I suspect you have what's referred to a masthead/anchor light as apposed to an all-around light. The all-around night has only one bulb that turns on for running and at anchor. Yours should have a switch when in one position one light turns on (front) and in the other position both lights turn on as required to be at anchor. A lot of guys will hook up both sides (bulbs) so that both bulbs are on no matter the position of the switch as that suits navigation and being at anchor. The front bulb on only is for navigation while underway. Usually this is accompanied by a stern light as well, usually on the transom but a lot of boats don't have that.

Topic author United States of America
Mike11
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby Mike11 » August 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am

Appreciate the info. Attached is a pic of the unit minus the bulb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 3rd, 2020, 3:59 pm

Never seen anything like that before. If I had to make a guess, I would say you need a festoon bulb. Just measure the distance between those contacts and buy the bulb to fit it.
I've bought LED equivalents for festoons, but they did not give 360 degree lighting. That could be a problem looking for LED's.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » August 3rd, 2020, 4:01 pm

What about just changing the whole fixture? Not crazy about that fixture.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » August 3rd, 2020, 5:03 pm

That's a strange one for sure. It looks like it would be a festoon type but not in the traditional sense as there's no way it would stay in place. Looks like it would take a festoon with dimpled ends to accommodate the dimples on the fixture's contacts. The only thing that comes to mind is the long halogen type bulbs you find on an outdoor motion detector light in the driveway, they are about 3" long with dimpled ends on them. The other one that comes to mind is a festoon type who's end contacts are loops that would fit under the bottom contact and over the spring loaded top one. The dimples would help keep the bulb from sliding off. Not exactly what I'm talking about but something like this...

http://www.nicebulb.com/Automotive%20LED%20bulb/Led_Festoon_Bulb/2018/0925/261.html

I would consider going with a more modern LED fixture too. You can buy that same type that will mount on the current bracket and not have to worry about replacing a bulb again for a long time.

BTW you can get all-around LED festoon bulbs now.

Return to “Electrical”