Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

TV Reception/Antenna Issue

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author
Blue
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 36 Mariner

TV Reception/Antenna Issue

Postby Blue » October 19th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Greetings all, hope you can help me out. Just took possession of a 2006 36 Mariner. So far we're loving it. I'm having an issue with TV reception however. Bottom line...blue screen, no TV reception at all. We have a Sole brand 20" LCD TV/Monitor. There is an antenna on the radar arch that has a tiny red light on it I assume to indicate it's working, but we've never got it to light up. Someone told me that this particular TV isn't set up for digital, and I'm also told it would require a converter that converts analog signals to digital. Tried that, didn't work. Part of the difficulty is that I can't see the back of the TV. There are 2 black cables coming out of the cabinet but they are screwed together. There's also a white box in the cabinet with 3 cable receptacles in it, and I have no idea what this is for unless it has something to do with connecting to satellite or cable, which we don't have at the dock. If you have some knowledge or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Topic author
Blue
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: TV Reception/Antenna Issue

Postby Blue » October 20th, 2013, 12:30 pm

And.......even if we miraculously get cable/satellite at the dock, will the Sole TV be compatible, or am I going to have to buy a new TV?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » October 20th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Not sure, but I bet your antenna is a powered antenna. Somewhere these is a box that is connected to electricty, one wire going to the antenna itself, and then one or more coming from TVs.

If you can find that box, then you can check if power is connected to it.

The power enables circuitry to amplify whatever signal is available.

Sat or cable will work with any tv, so you should not have toe worry about that.

I would hook up a dvd player and rent shows if I had free time to kill on the boat.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
Blue
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Blue » October 20th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Thanks so much. I'm at least glad to know I won't have to replace the TV. The marina has cable on some of the docks, but not ours. They've been promising for years. Some of the folks have their own dish that they sit on the dock so they can get satellite TV. I may have to go that route if I can't figure out how this antenna thing works. I'm guessing that the white box mounted in the cabinet behind the TV is probably the powered antenna you mentioned. It has 3 cable receptors and it does plug in. Based on what you said I'm guessing I'm not getting power to it even though it is plugged in. Thanks for your help. Expect more questions as I get to know my Carver a little better. :down:

United States of America
Luv'n Life
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 380 Santego SE

Postby Luv'n Life » June 17th, 2014, 5:58 pm

If there is a red light on the antenna, it is probably getting power. There should be a wire from the antenna to the box. The one I had carried both power for the antenna and the tv signal.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » May 26th, 2015, 9:38 am

I don't believe anyone posted on the A/B switch, located just below the DVD player. A is for antenna signal and B is for cable signal.

BTW, can you post your solution to your original inquiry? Thanks.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”