Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New member about to close on a 98 350

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
killerclone
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 350 Mariner Lucky Bastard
7.4 Crusaders MPI

New member about to close on a 98 350

Postby killerclone » June 26th, 2014, 9:37 am

Hello All,
I'm about to close on my personal "dream boat" a 1998 350 Mariner. My wife and I fell in love with this model when we first saw it at the NYC Boat Show in 1998.
It's been a long time coming (and 6 previous boats)!
I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.
Boat specs:
X-ta-Sea
Twin Crusader 7.4 liter 454 XL MPI ~700 hours on each
Full compliment of electronics, including a Ray Marine E series Auto Pilot (which I have to figure out)
:captain:
Kohler 6.5 kw genset
AC/Heat
and the rest of the normal Carver options

The boat is currently in Washington DC but I am planning on moving it to Lake George NY. We are undecided on how to move it. Truck it or take the trip up the coast, the Hudson river and Champlain Canal then have it ported across from Lake Champlain to Lake George.
Any advice on that would be most welcome. I have 25 years boating experience but zero Coastal piloting experience.
The Boat has been surveyed and is in great condition. As a new owner is there any thing I should be especially mindful on the 350?

Sincerely
Paul
Paul
Our family motto..."Don't Panic" or as my kids tell me "Ne formides"

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: New member about to close on a 98 350

Postby Lyndon670 » June 26th, 2014, 11:43 am

Paul, congrats!

I believe the Mariner has a 13' beam which means to transport you will need a wide load permit. The transport company will look after getting that but it vastly increases the km price. Also, depending in the route, bridge/arch may have to come off. In my experience, this can either be quick and easy or a nightmare.

My suggestion is that if you can afford the time - float her home. It's a great trip and a great "get to know your boat" event. You are not covering a huge distance, and you have the perfect time of the year. A once in a lifetime trip as they say!

Good luck!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author
killerclone
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 350 Mariner Lucky Bastard
7.4 Crusaders MPI

Postby killerclone » June 9th, 2015, 11:21 am

Thought I'd reply to this thread and let everyone know what we did. Per Lyndon670 we did float it up the coast. And true to his statement it was truly a once in a lifetime trip!!! My wife, 13 year old son, one of his friends and a close friend of mine who has made the trip before, left the Anacostia river and spent a week in August coming up the coast. Past Washington DC, through the Chesapeake bay, the C&D canal, down the Delaware river, through Cape May, up the NJ shore, past NYC and up the Hudson. It was a blast!!! And we learned a lot about the boat. My wife who was somewhat interested in boats (a nice place on the water to have a cocktail) is now a big fan and has even suggested trying the Great Loop when my last son graduates from college. The boat is now at Lake George in fresh water, we have completely refitted it (time for some updates, it was after all a 16 year old boat) and are enjoying it thoroughly. It's funny, I've been a Lake Boater all my life, and thought the Lake was more than big enough, after our trip, it just seems a little...limiting. LOL I just wanted to share this and thank the forum members for the sound advice they give.
Paul
"Lucky Bastard"
Lake George, NY
Paul
Our family motto..."Don't Panic" or as my kids tell me "Ne formides"

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 9th, 2015, 12:41 pm

That's a great story.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » June 10th, 2015, 7:59 am

Great to hear Paul, I am envious of your trip. My wife and I are planning on doing the loop the year I retire - a mere 13 years from now lol.....
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

kcco1181
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 440 AFT Cabin

Postby kcco1181 » June 11th, 2015, 7:21 am

Awesome boat and I bet that was a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”