Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water in bilge when I turn on ac

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
pdragula
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 42 ' carver 1987

Water in bilge when I turn on ac

Postby pdragula » October 17th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Questions:

I recently replaced strainer. Pump and strainer are not leaking. I have a 42 carver.

1 where is water coming from in bilge?
2. Why does water come out exhaust when I turn on ac?

Thanks for your help.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Re: Water in bilge when I turn on ac

Postby chpsk8 » October 17th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Where does your ac water exit? Is that the water exiting the exhaust? I’ve seen a few boats set up that way. My Carver has two thru hulls, one on each side for the ac water.
You’ll need to do some tracing of water lines. In through the bottom, into the strainer, then on to the ac units(s). Through the ac units and out to the thru hull. There’s a surprising amount of water line in an ac system.
Also check the condensate drain and pan. If you are getting a lot of water it probably isn’t that, but worth checking to see if the drain line is plugged.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Fred (waybomb) can probably confirm the location of the discharges on the 4207, I can't recall. Some models do discharge from the same area as the engine exhaust. My mid and aft AC units discharge that way. My v-berth discharges just above the waterline at the bow. I love this setup as you can't even hear when my units are running unlike my neighbours who keep me up all night with theirs pouring overboard a couple of feet from the waterline.

Water in the bilge could be from several sources so it's a matter of checking all the through hull hardware for leaks, engine and generator leaks, fresh water system leaks which could be lines, fittings, hot water tank, fresh water tank, etc. While we're on the subject of air conditioning though, they discharge condensate at a pretty good rate depending on atmospheric conditions. In later applications, the condensate discharges into shower sumps, then discharges overboard. Condensate in earlier years simply drained into the bilge. Again, Fred may also be able to confirm if your vintage came with shower sumps which the condensate should be draining into. If you have them, check to make sure they're draining in there properly.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 18th, 2020, 1:34 pm

How much water are we talking about...ounces or lots of gallons?
If ounces, most likely the condensation is not making its way to the sump pump or the sump pump isn't working.
If lots of gallons, then some of your cooling water is leaking and not making its way to overboard discharge. And yes, as mentioned, some boats do discharge AC cooling water thru engine exhaust ports.

pdragula
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pdragula » May 11th, 2021, 12:57 am

Ugh!!!!! I haven’t used the Ac System since October. I turned it on and found it is leaking even more, in gallons! I’ve torn the boat apart three times and traced all of the lines from the intake to the water pump and to each unit. No leaks but bilge fills up. I see water coming out of bow with good pressure and out of port exhaust.

I don’t see how ac is connected to exhaust to be able to drain that way. What am I missing?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 11th, 2021, 7:05 am

As I mentioned above, AC discharging into the an engine exhaust channel in the boat is not uncommon. Mine is set up that way. Have you checked the discharge lines on all the units? Maybe one has failed or come off. Hopefully Fred remembers his 4207 setup and will chime in.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm

pdragula wrote:Source of the post Ugh!!!!! I haven’t used the Ac System since October. I turned it on and found it is leaking even more, in gallons! I’ve torn the boat apart three times and traced all of the lines from the intake to the water pump and to each unit. No leaks but bilge fills up. I see water coming out of bow with good pressure and out of port exhaust.

I don’t see how ac is connected to exhaust to be able to drain that way. What am I missing?

Ok, you traced the lines to each unit, but have you traced the lines from the unit to the overboard discharge?
And again, it’s not unusual for the discharge to go out an engine exhaust port. I used to have a 3807 with 3 AC units. The unit in the V berth had its own discharge thru hull at the bow, but the other 2 units discharged thru the exhaust.

pdragula
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pdragula » May 11th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Hey guys,

Yes I have traced all lines and no leaks. I don’t see how it is connected to exhaust. Water is discharging from exhaust, front of hull and now bilge.

Anyone know where to look for connection on exhaust from ac?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 11th, 2021, 4:23 pm

pdragula wrote:Source of the post Hey guys,

Yes I have traced all lines and no leaks. I don’t see how it is connected to exhaust. Water is discharging from exhaust, front of hull and now bilge.

Anyone know where to look for connection on exhaust from ac?

Did you have the unit running when you were tracing and inspecting all the lines from the AC to the exhaust ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

pdragula
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pdragula » May 12th, 2021, 10:20 am

I don’t need to turn on units for bilge to fill, just the pump.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”