Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gen water leak maybe?

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1987 3607 aft

Gen water leak maybe?

Postby RWS » October 17th, 2020, 12:11 pm

1987 3607. we took the boat out for an overnight stay. Cruised about 2 hours , dropped anchor and then ran the gen for an hour. Next morning we started the gen again for about an hour to charge back up the house batteries . Cruised around and back to the dock. Looked in the hatch and noticed some water in the gen oil catch pan and in the haul underneath it.
So I fired the gen up and couldn't see a leak. could it be condensation or a small leak I just can't see. Viper what are your thoughts sir? Thank you everyone for ideas.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Gen water leak maybe?

Postby g36 » October 17th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Buehler? Buehler?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2020, 11:04 am

You really have to look close to see if there is a leak from the genny while it's running. Make sure you run it to operating temp and put a good load on it. Check all the lines, water pump, drain plugs, gasketed joints, etc. Unless there is fresh water plumbing or another water source above or close to the generator that might be leaking on it, there really shouldn't be any water in the bottom pan unless it's coming from the generator. The pan is shallow but still high enough that it would have to be a fair drip to fill that up and overflow into the bilge unless it simply shook out on your way back to port.

What brand and model generator do you have? Is it an Onan MCCK, and is it fresh water or raw water cooled?

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » October 18th, 2020, 11:24 am

it is fresh water cooled Onan. Had an impeller go bad this year, wondering if it the housing is not sealed well or a line is a little loose. It ran well, just like it always has.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2020, 11:30 am

The water pump isn't the easiest thing to get at on that model. Did you replace the gasket? Again, check everything while it's running at temp and under a good load.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » October 18th, 2020, 11:36 am

will do thank you.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2020, 11:42 am

I remember the location of the genny in the 3607 but don't recall if there are any fresh water system lines running above it against the bulkhead. Turn on your fresh water pump and check for leaks above the genny. If your pump cycles with all the faucets off, then there's a leak somewhere or a faulty check valve in the pump. For your vintage, you probably have the grey Qest lines and fittings. Check the fittings for leaks.

RWS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby RWS » October 18th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Viper wrote:it is fresh water cooled Onan. Had an impeller go bad this year, wondering if it the housing is not sealed well or a line is a little loose. It ran well, just like it always has.
Viper wrote:I remember the location of the genny in the 3607 but don't recall if there are any fresh water system lines running above it against the bulkhead. Turn on your fresh water pump and check for leaks above the genny. If your pump cycles with all the faucets off, then there's a leak somewhere or a faulty check valve in the pump. For your vintage, you probably have the grey Qest lines and fittings. Check the fittings for leaks.

I went to the boat today, started and loaded the genny and let it run about an hour and no apparent leaks. Also checked for a fresh water leak. Nothing found and water level in catch pan did not increase nor in the hull. Is it possible for water to have remained there for several months from when Dale changed the impeller in mid July?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » October 18th, 2020, 10:08 pm

My understanding is that it's pretty humid down your way so I'd say it's possible.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2020, 1:57 pm

I know this is a few days old, IMO water in the bilge catch pans would take a while to evaporate if there was a skim/sheen of oil on the surface. Dry and clean everything then keep checking.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”