Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Overhead courtesy lights, pot light style

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Overhead courtesy lights, pot light style

Postby Lyndon670 » July 17th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Anyone have a source for these overhead lights that are in virtually all of our boats built from the mid 90's to late 2000s? The ones that have the gold plastic trim ring that always breaks, and the fixture takes a G4 halogen bulb.

I've been looking on eBay and haven't been able to source them...
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Overhead courtesy lights, pot light style

Postby waybomb » July 19th, 2015, 10:41 am

I'm not sure which lights you are writing about, but check out GreatLakesSkipper on ebay. They also own Kendor's in Franklin Wisc. They buy quite a bit of surplus for resale from Carver, Cruisers and other boat MFGs in the area.
Kendor's should have a phone number listed.

Not sure about GLS. The GLS warehouse is in Kenosha I believe. The place is huge. You could probably take a picture of the light and send a note through ebay to GLS.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

John554
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 carver 366 aft cabin

Postby John554 » July 19th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I am also looking to replace the courtesy light I my aft seating section. Went to replace the lightbulb and broke the plastic shield. Any suggestions.on how.to.replace the shield. My boat is a.03. 366 aft cabin

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » July 29th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Lyndon,

I had the same problem but didn't replace the entire light assembly. I replaced some of the bezels and all of the halogen bulbs with G4 LED warm white bulbs. Some of the plastic will come off the base when you pull the bezel off (ruined by heat from the halogen bulbs) but the bezel still stayed on fine for me...

You can get the bezels here. They are made by Hera and the model is an ES1.

http://www.eclectic-ware.com/hera-light ... parts.html

For the bulbs I got these.

http://www.miniinthebox.com/g4-3528-smd ... 11471.html

I ended up trying 3 different LED bulbs from different sources cheap to expensive, they're all the same. You won't have the heat and melting of the plastic anymore but it turns our nice cherry wood a little green/walnut looking. The lighting no matter what warm white LED I tried is not as rich looking as the halogen. The upside is it fixes the heat problem with ruining the lights and the current draw will be almost non-existent.

Hugo

John554
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 carver 366 aft cabin

Postby John554 » August 1st, 2015, 8:18 pm

Thanks Hugo. I will check the site out next week. How do you get the white plastic rim off? Thanks again. John

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » August 12th, 2015, 4:04 pm

You just grab the outer trim ring and twist until it detaches and pull it away. There are notches in the base that hold the trim ring in place...

Tbenedik08/36SS/VPD6
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2008 36-Super Sport, Volvo Penta D6-370

Postby Tbenedik08/36SS/VPD6 » May 7th, 2016, 5:43 pm

On a similar note, I have replaced all my interior cabin lights with LEDs, but when it came to the cockpit overhead curtosey lights, I can not seem to twist off the bezels. They are slightly recessed into the overhang fiberglass ceiling, and I have been unable to grip them with any tool. I am worried that the only way in will be destructive to the bezels, and it sounds like getting replacement bezels is getting difficult. Anyone have/had this problem and developed a solution? I was thinking of drilling two holes at 180° and making a homemade spanner wrench to grip the holes??? My concern is that as this is an exterior location, the bezel might be locked down with sealent.

Return to “Electrical”