Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Small boat big big project!

Topic author United States of America
hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1980 Carver
Santa Cruz

Re: Small boat big big project!

Postby hardchines » August 7th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Tested moor and outdrive, motor ran perfect and outdrive shifted as it should, put motor in Craigs list for 500, sold it to a nice young fellow for his project for 450 on first day of add, I wanted it gone ASAP. I have a BSP and think everyone should have one (big strong Pollack) as they are very handy, mine is a 5500 lb. Hyster fork truck. I kept a good record of weights for components coming out and going in. Boat net cost after sale of motor is now 50., I know still think I paid too much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hardchines on June 12th, 2019, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 7th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Did a basic clean up of the bilge, hull in and out and a quick coat of wax on the hull. lots of buckets of hot soapy water, had to hurry as the weather was starting to change, I was lucky to have good conditions for a week or two but winter was coming and the clean up had to be rushed . Got engine out as well as complete Volvo outdrive , I do not love outdrives but we have to compromise , I did not want a Volvo IO, they are built good as far as I can see but part availability, cost of parts and labor is very high and did not lend itself as a good candidate for the custom install I was planning, so out it went. I can deal with Mercruiser IO's , parts are everywhere and cheap, and every marina can work on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 7th, 2015, 6:29 pm

I was smart enough to check the height of the boat on the trailer and it was time to slip it into the barn for the winter, well not so easy after all. Did not figure the door trusses that support the 12 foot door, so I removed the bridge windshield and wheel, still no good so I removed all the tires off the rims and that got me 1 inch of vertical clearance, and 2 inches of horizontal clearance to car lift (my design). Pulled in to barn with BSP then removed the tongue off the trailer and placed front of trailer on a super-sized dolly, then pushed the boat to the back wall (actually hit the wall but not bad). Very happy she was in,turn on the heat and bring on the winter!

SORRY PICTURES NOT IN ORDER!!
Last edited by hardchines on June 12th, 2019, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 7th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Hope people do not find this too boring, I never did a thread on a project that I have/am working on.

So I now have a clean canvas sorta speak in the way of a boat for me to do whatever I want to do to her, I can not screw up and reduce her value because to this point of the project I have only 50. in value in the boat, that will soon change but if all goes well I should have a nice little LRC that will be used for Long Range Cruising, at a very low cost of ownership, I hope!

Well the first thing on my wish list is to have a small diesel motor to make her go, so it was shopping time. I did all the formula-rs and came up with a these numbers , they are approx.

Hull speed 7.1 MPH
HP needed to attain hull speed 21 HP
Fuel burn at hull speed 1.2 (going by memory here)
MPG about 5.4

NONE OF THESE NUMBERS WERE CORRECT IN THE END!

Actual numbers.
Hull speed 6.1 MPH 1800 RPM out of 2600 and 43.5HP, WOT speed 8MPH
HP needed to attain hull speed 15-18 estimate!
Fuel burn at hull speed .7 GPH
MPG about 9.5 MPG

I figured a good motor of 30 to 40 HP would fit the bill. I have spent some time on some smaller boats with diesels, always vibrate and way too much noise inside the cabin and noisy and stinky outside, what to do? I love Perkins motors but they are long stroke heavy motors and did not figure a good choice for such a small boat, I came across some Yanmar 4 cylinder small displacement motors for sale at a good price, I did allot of investigation on the origion of these motors and their habbits, good and bad. The ones for sale are 4TNV86' s, they are built for Ingasol Rand for thier THERMO KING refrigeration units on shipping containers and refrigerated tractor trailer units, they produce 43.5 HP @ about 3000 RPM, 21 HP at 2200 RPM, they are industrial engines exclusivly. This engine is a Yanmar 4TNV88 with a 2 MM smaller bore making it a 86 MM bore this reduces the 88s HP by 2HP,so why bother making a 86 at all, done so Thermo King has a uniuqe motor with all parts for this motor coming from Thermo King only. Good thing is the only different parts are the sleeves, pistons,vand rings and they are happy to sell you the parts at a reasonable price. Why did they pull these engines off the refer units was my big question, I talked to several dealers and they all said the same thing, in order for a refer truck to go into California it must meet the latest emmision standards (called tier 1,2,3 etc.) Ca is the nations veg and fruit basket so lots of trucks go there. The engines are tipicaly changed out only after oil consumption gets to be unacceptable around 25-40 thousand hours (WOW). The motors for sale are not run outs they are just not compliant for Ca tier levels, as I said they are industrial so they are bought as direct replacement motors for skid steer machines and backhoes that use the 4tnv88, John Deere uses allot of these motors in theier backhoes. The Thermo Kings have a large expensive oil filter and a large oil pan for extended run times, scedule oil and filter change to be done every 3000 hrs (WOW), little 4 banger that holds 16 quarts of oil with filter change, about the same as my turbo Cat 3208 V8 diesel in my Motor Home. Seller did a live video of my motor star and run with a oil pressure gauge installed, ran nice and 80 PSI at idle, I bought it, 1800 bucks.
Last edited by hardchines on June 12th, 2019, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 7th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Good stuff.....looks like you have a good handle on this and some good equipment to help you....it will be a lot of fun to follow along with this, keep er coming.....Mike
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 8th, 2015, 10:54 am

Thx Bud!

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » August 8th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands LOL. Keep the pics coming!!!

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 8th, 2015, 5:02 pm

I have no experience with this size boat (26) and no Carver experience, have heard good things and frankly some bad, but that said, I have to say I am impressed with most of the engineering and construction that I have seen so far.
First task I decided to tackle was removing the rotten wood in the transom, replace the wood and re-glass the hole in the transom left by the large Volvo outdrive, I then could cut a new hole for the Mercruiser outdrive gimbal assembly.

I cut the fiberglass liner over the wood part of the transom on the inside of the boat, then removed all the rotted wood, it was all rotted and it took me approximately 5 minutes to remove all the wood.

The wood was glassed in well except for the top edge where it was completely open, just above the wood section are the two 3/4 inch cockpit scuppers or at least the scupper holes. The scupper holes are cut through the inner cockpit liner and through the transom, but there are no tubes in the holes at all, so every drop of water that entered the cockpit want out the holes and poured into the top of the wood transom, once in the wood area it had no way out! I see no evidence that scupper tubes were ever installed but who knows they may have just rotted away.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 8th, 2015, 5:10 pm

I have no experience with this size boat (26) and no Carver experience, have heard good things and frankly some bad, but that said, I have to say I am impressed with most of the engineering and construction that I have seen so far.
First task I decided to tackle was removing the rotten wood in the transom, replace the wood and re-glass the hole in the transom left by the large Volvo outdrive, I then could cut a new hole for the Mercruiser outdrive gimbal assembly.

I cut the fiberglass liner over the wood part of the transom on the inside of the boat, then removed all the rotted wood, it was all rotted and it took me approximately 5 minutes to remove all the wood.

The wood was glassed in well except for the top edge where it was completely open, just above the wood section are the two 3/4 inch cockpit scuppers or at least the scupper holes. The scupper holes are cut through the inner cockpit liner and through the transom (see scupper holes in picture), but there are no tubes in the holes at all, so every drop of water that entered the cockpit want out the holes and poured into the top of the wood transom, once in the wood area it had no way out! I see no evidence that scupper tubes were ever installed but who knows they may have just rotted away.

hardchines
First Mate
First Mate
Santa Cruz

Postby hardchines » August 8th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Time to do some wood work! Dry fit new wood, transom wood (2x 3/4 plywood), then glassed it in, now I needed to fill the hole in the fiberglass transom, I went to a boat disposal location near me and found a good flat hull section and cut out a rough patch piece of glass, I made a temp-let and cut out a filler piece and glassed it in, see pics! Came out nice.

Return to “The Project Center”