Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Driving instruction please

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Driving instruction please

Postby Seif911 » May 27th, 2013, 8:43 am

Good Morning All,
Ok, it is not as bad as it sounds. I have never used a twin engine before, but understand the concept from my skid loader and zero turn lawn mower. I am driving relatively well but seem to have a problem in one of the easiest areas.

I have the boat backed in and the dock is on the port side. When I leave, I seem to have a problem not rubbing the boat on the dock. At good suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: Driving instruction please

Postby AaHubb » May 27th, 2013, 10:37 am

I have the same issue with my 404. I usually have my wife push the stern out from the dock as she boards after untying the lines. I can then pull forward enough to clear the dock finger. When on a side tie along a dock the first thing to do is rotate the stern away from the dock. To do this turn the wheel hard over toward the dock (in your example to port) then split the shifters port reverse, starboard forward. Once the stern is well away from the dock reverse the shifters but keep the wheel hard over. This will walk the boat sideways. Once clear turn the wheel forward and you are on your way. This method works great when tied between other boats along a dock.
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » May 27th, 2013, 10:49 am

And - lots of practice. Start on calm days and just go parking the boat in your slip, than putz around the marina. Try it without using the wheel, just the transmissions.

I don't know how your bridge is, but on my 4207, when backing in, I was able to walk around to the front of the bridge and drive it just like going forward. I didn't have to think "backwards".
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » May 27th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Wow, I had to retread that one a few times to get the concept. I'll probably have to read it again before I drive the boat again. I will give it a try.

Thus far, I have had a ton of practice driving around the marina since I can't hit the throttle w/o killing the engines. Soon!
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Return to “General Boating Discussion”