Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

450 voyager pilot house-mine will be 1999 with 450 Cummins

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
SCOTTGRODY
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 PILOTHOUSE VOYAGER
ANY CURRENT OWNER THAT CAN PROVIDE INSIGHTS AND CONCERNS APPRECIATED
HAVE A SALES CONTRACT BUT HAVE NOT YET SURVEYED THE BOAT

Postby SCOTTGRODY » September 5th, 2015, 12:08 pm

i am surveying my 1999 new purchase ( subject to survey ) Sept 10.
I am a very experience boater and my last 4550 Bayliner Pilothouse which I owned for 12 years was fantastic in most areas even though Bayliners reputation for building quality boats in terrible
The 1987 4550 was lacking for sure in finish work..electrical and fixable upgrades like that...BUT...
Her semi displacement hull was amazing. I was a rough sea cruiser. Along the Atlantic Coast a couple of miles off shore running from East Rockaway to Montauk was often done in 3 to 5 and sometime 4-6 seas. She ran like a champ...I ran along side Hats and Vikings and while i could not keep to speed wise, my 4550 was seaworthy and took the seas well.
NOW FOR THE 450 VOYAGER
1. I have been told from research and a former Carver salesman the following:
2. Hull thickness is lacking
3. Glass windows are too thin and can break easily
4. in a 3-5 Sea the 450 Voyager borders on dangerous with a pounding ride and she is a very very wet boat
4. There is an issue with tabbing ( not trim tabs but the tabs attachments connecting the hull to the house)
WOULD SP APPRECIATE ANY CURRENT OWNER IN PUT ON THIS
MANY THANKS SCOTT SGRODY@GMAIL.COM

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 450 voyager pilot house-mine will be 1999 with 450 Cummins

Postby waybomb » September 5th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Interesting. I'll be watching this thread.
And welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
SCOTTGRODY
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SCOTTGRODY » September 5th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Thanks Waybomb...I hope I get some answers...

Topic author
SCOTTGRODY
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SCOTTGRODY » September 7th, 2015, 8:18 am

Hi 450 Voyager Owners or Owners to be...
I had a 1 hour conversation with a Virginia owner. What a great guy and a very experienced and knowledgeable yachtsman!
He has had his for 3 years and is selling in now to buy a sailboat and do a circumnavigational trip...WOW!!!
He has upgraded his Voyager to the enth degree and from what he told me they were all the "right upgrades" nothing that was critical but important if you want a near perfect vessel ( nothing is ever totally perfect)
He is a cruiser and does not push or cowboy the engines. He said his bow thruster is a tremendous help when docking.
He likes to always operate at a level two on the controls to maintain better control of the engines because the lower rpm level one is just toooo low.
He said that at lower speeds the boat is a good sea keeper in a sloppy ocean and the ride is just fine. He said the boat is NOT a wet boat...unless your on the pins in a 2-4 short chop. She handles well is all sea conditions...following,head,quarter beam and full beam sea.
He said he would take $170 and its listed for $180 and in my humble opinion well worth it. Its a 1999 with 16 hours and listed on Craigs List. Good Luck!
Scott

ajones05446
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 450 Voyager

Postby ajones05446 » December 8th, 2015, 10:17 am

I have owned my 450 Voyager for two years now. We purchased it on MD and brought it to Lake Champlain Vermont. We ran off shore from Cape May to NY harbor in a variety of seas building to 12 foot plus. The boat ran and handled flawlessly without any wet conditions at all. I am planning to retire with this boat bringing her to Narraganset bay for the summer then down the coast to Florida, the Bahamas and Cuba. I couldn't imagine any issues with this boat.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 8th, 2015, 12:53 pm

There is a David Pascoe article that focused on a Carver years ago that brought into question "hull thickness" as a factor of strength. The internet folly ran with this and Carvers have been condemned since this report with inaccurate, uneducated comments about poor designs with flimsy hulls due to hull thickness.

There was a time in ALL CONSTRUCTION where wall thickness was thought to increase strength. This is simply no longer true and has not been true (in marine construction) since the science of fiberglass construction became mainstay. As with unibody construction on cars, it is the design of components of the construction that is the key to its strength. Who needs a hull that is 1/2 inch thick? Can you imagine the sheer weight and power required to move it at planning speeds? It would simply not be affordable or economical.

The thickness of the hull is basically only a factor on places where two pieces of materials are being joined and one or moth of them are going to be experiencing a torquing moment, a load bearing variable or a potential impact. Decks, keels, swim platforms are such areas.

My 506 is a tank. I have drilled through my transom to install underwater lights and am happy with the 3/8 thickness of the transom. My boat weighs more than my best buddies 50' Searay by a thousand pounds. Does that mean mine is stronger and his is weaker? No, just a different design.

Our boats are all designed to safely navigate nearshore and inland lakes and rivers. Would I run my boat from Miami to Bimini? Absolutely, and in 12 years when I retire I will by doing exactly that. But p, as my boat is not a Norhaven or Grand Banks or Kadey Krogan, I will pick my day of departure wisely - just as the Captain of the Norhaven, Grand Banks or Kady Krogan would.

Your 450 Voyageur is a fantastic blend of style, comfort and utility. Get a hull and engine survey and enjoy your Carver.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”