Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Picked up a Montego for my wife last weekend!

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
Jeff Thornton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 2757 Montego CDRH5049J889, 1974 Ericson E27, 1996 Avon - Sea Rider -SR6 (Rigid Hull Inflatable) and a Nordica 16.

Picked up a Montego for my wife last weekend!

Postby Jeff Thornton » September 9th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Well, I was eyeing another sail boat when my wife saw the 2757 and I was done for.

It's a 1989 and in pretty good shape with good maintenance history and 532 hours on the meter.

Our season here on Lake Superior is quickly coming to a close, so I am not sure if we'll get it wet yet this season, the leaves are already well upon their way to fall and I still have two other boats being utilized. This will give me a chance to learn things about the vessel. Like the unlabeled black toggle switch located near the galley sink that doesn't seem to do anything?!?!? You know, that type of stuff.

Hope to learn great things from all of you!

Jeff

Canada
PhotoHog
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 444 Extended Salon (purchased late 2021)
Cummins 370s
Freshwater - for now.

Re: Picked up a Montego for my wife last weekend!

Postby PhotoHog » September 9th, 2015, 3:27 pm

The toggle switch near my sink turned the fresh water pump on and off... ya never know.

Topic author
Jeff Thornton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 2757 Montego CDRH5049J889, 1974 Ericson E27, 1996 Avon - Sea Rider -SR6 (Rigid Hull Inflatable) and a Nordica 16.

Postby Jeff Thornton » September 9th, 2015, 3:45 pm

WOW!! This forum is going to be a great help with folks like you around Photo Hog! A response in less than an hour?!?! With an answer that makes sense!!

THANK YOU!

I will have to double check and get a label made.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » September 9th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I had a 1988 2757 Montego for 15 years. LOVED that boat. Twin 3.7 Mercs, AC, Cherry hardwood floors. Sold her 3 years ago and purchased our 1998 310 Santego. Love her as well! Carver makes a great boat. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask...we're all pretty knowledgable!
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Topic author
Jeff Thornton
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Jeff Thornton » October 9th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Well a week ago I was ready to sink it! I never had so much trouble trying to register a boat!

I bought it at public auction where the village owned marina had put a storage lien on it. Sold with bill of sale. In Michigan, generally boats over 20ft are titled. But I did not have a title only a bill of sale which hadn't been a problem for me on other purchases. When I went to register it they found a Lien from a bank in Wisconsin. I contacted the village and they found that they did have a release of Lien on the boat from the bank who has since gone out of business.

First trip to the Secretary of State they sent me to purchase a surety bond $140. Second trip they wanted more than a bill of sale of which the village obliged by stating how they acquired the boat including all notice and news paper notices, etc. Third trip to the SOS and they said the bank released their lien but what about the registered owner. Because the village should have registered it. Was told to "try" to find the registered owner in Wisconsin (Michigan registered boat) and get him to get a duplicate title and sign it over to me, oh! and he will have to pay $10 for that. But they couldn't tell me who that was or where to contact them!

So I was told three different things to transfer ownership at the same office and the office manager was involved on two of the occasions. Thankfully there was some sort of floater who fills in at different SOS offices for vacations and the such that heard us across the office and she said "all you have to do is a NCIC search to see if the guy reported it stolen, if not transfer it! The manager and the original two clerks were doubting her and she told them to call FSU? That was who told her what to do on a previous occasion she said. The were pretty insistent that you could not do that, because it was a titled boat and needed to have a signed title and somewhat dismissed her.

Yes I got a bit more firm with and told them that I had already wasted $140 for a surety bond that I evidently don't need that the least they could do was make the call and ask. They did and now it is mine!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » October 10th, 2015, 8:07 am

They are there to help you!

Congrats on the boat and welcome aboard!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”