Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aft deck plastic panels

Used boat parts, used Carver boat parts, trailers, dinghies, outboards, props...everything but the boats they were attached to. ALL ADS ARE FREE - USERS MUST HAVE AT LEAST 10 POSTS TO PLACE AN AD
Forum rules
All classified ads for boat parts are free. Please be as specific as possible in describing your item. You can upload pictures too!

CarverYachtOwners.com and the owners of this forum take no responsibility for the authenticity of ads or legitimacy of items being sold. Buyers, please buy responsibly.

To place an ad start a new Topic. We reserve the right to delete ads from users with fewer than 10 posts.

Topic author United States of America
dsouder
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 300 Aft Cabin

Aft deck plastic panels

Postby dsouder » June 1st, 2015, 9:49 am

I have a 1994 300 Aft Cabin. I'm looking for replacement panels that go around the aft deck railing. These are the white plastic/plexiglass panels that fit between the safety railings and the deck. I specifically need the one on the port side as well as the one on the stern/port corner. I also need the aluminum corner piece that goes between these two panels.

Any suggestions on where I might be able to get these?

Ondercin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

Re: Aft deck plastic panels

Postby Ondercin » June 8th, 2015, 12:04 pm

I am currently in the process of looking for this myself...
I've sent off a few emails looking for a fabricator to make them for our 1988 3607 aft cabin, but I'm also considering doing it myself...
I've just started researching companies, so if I don't anyone commenting to your post, I'll let you know how I make out.
I've spoken to a very bright individual this morning and he recommended UMHW plastic.
1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

dsouder
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dsouder » June 8th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Ondercin,
Thank you for this info. I have considered doing them myself as well with standard white plexiglass or similar materials. At a little bit of a loss for the corner piece.

Ondercin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Penetanguishene

Postby Ondercin » June 10th, 2015, 6:32 pm

So far I've purchased 1/4" ply cut to 27" x 48" (27 is the height from deck to top of rail) I soaked in for about 10 minutes and used my garage wall and floor to bend it... after 24 hours it doesn't totally hold the shape but it's easy to hold it at 90 degrees..
If I get a chance I'm going to take it to the boat and fasten it to the stanchions for the week.. I might have to apply a resin to keep the curve.. then I was going to use that as my mold or perhaps I'll wrap it in fibreglass...
I'll see how this weekend goes.. busy family time so I'm not sure if I'll get any boat time
1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 12th, 2015, 8:00 am

have any of you contacted carver/marquis for the panels? i have seen on other carver sites that they will still cut these for boats that have been out of production. might call brett in parts and ask may be worth a call.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

dsouder
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dsouder » June 12th, 2015, 10:57 am

g36,

I have contacted carver/marquis and this was their reply:
Unfortunately we can no longer make the panels or the corners, the panels were made from ¼” acrylic (plexiglass) you may want to contact a local cabinet shop as they often use that type of materials, they would have to custom make them. The corners were made from a aluminum painted extrusion, that extrusion is no longer made as the company we used to buy the extrusion from threw away their press molds to make it. All we would have is the plastic rivets or the spacers if you had spacers on your panels to attach to the rails.

The reply was sent from a btemple@marquisyachts. I'm assuming this may be the Brett you are refering to.

Ondercin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Penetanguishene

Postby Ondercin » June 24th, 2015, 7:33 am

The wife and I drove to the boat yesterday to see how the plywood would fit/attach
The 90 degree bend formed okay, but we did soak it for a minute in the water and I pressed it into place... The boss looked it over for a few minutes then asked to go for a walk so she could look at a few carvers across the marina that have the solid panels.
In short she choose not to go for the panels but talked to the canvas guy and wants a canvas "dodger" with some clear panels for being able to look down close to the water to see the children..
After attempting this I think the 1/4 ply would work, but I would have took a quick look for something else just before fibreglassing as it might be too thick. It could be done but perhaps something more plyable that fibreglass could adhere to.
1988 carver 3607 AFT
Penetanguishene

United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » September 27th, 2015, 10:09 pm

If you are looking to do it yourself if the parts are not available from Carver, try Mcmaster-Carr. I purchased a 4' x 8' sheet of UV protected acrylic panel that I cut for a snow plow blade insert. They are on line and supply bulk composite material in whatever size you specify. My sheet ran about $80.00. :usa:

Anne Bonny
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 355 Aft Cabin

Postby Anne Bonny » May 6th, 2017, 8:59 am

Although this post is nearly two years old. This spring our starboard plexiglass panel cracked and needed replacement. Also we've been missing rivets and spacers throughout all panels and decided to resolve all three issues this spring. Here's what we did;

For the plexiglass replacement, we went to a local glass company, specifically in CT, Middletown Plate Glass. It is a special order piece which ran about $380.00 with left over scrap. The starboard side is a tab bit longer than 4'.... so an 8' panel was needed.

For the rivets and spacers. We found a company in CA, Product Components Corporation, www.product-components.com . For $50 plus shipping we ordered 50 of each... rivet # B16015 and spacer # C38410. Only thing is the spacers are not concaved on one end which one may decide to leave asis or carefully run the end against a drill press. PCC were quick in their response and highly recommend them and their services. Yes, you can order fewer than 50.
Anne Bonny
1995 355 Aft
Mystic, CT

greghotz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405

Postby greghotz » April 11th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Plastic Panels:
I have the same issue with my 405. Try Total Plastic Inc. They have several shops, one in PA, one in Baltimore and several in the midwest. They will cut panels to size and carry the t same type of material as Carver used long ago. The colors may not match if your just replacing one part due to sun fade. I'm looking for the plastic standoffs used to mount them to the rails.

Return to “Boat Parts For Sale”