Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sanitation Lines

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Sanitation Lines

Postby Wayne162 » October 28th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Does anybody know where one can purchase MDPE pipe in the United States? My story begins with a clogged head in the aft stateroom on my maiden voyage with the new boat from Myrtle Beach to Charleston, SC my home port. The fluid level would not go down. I donned the wet gear to clean out the nasty's the previous owners had left, and took the Crown head apart. The head appeared operationally fine with a need for some new gaskets and impeller, but they were not the immediate issue. I pumped out the rear holding tank and disconnected the sanitation line at the head. I ran a snake through it around a lot of calcification and got to a hard blockage at about 7' of a 10' run. I could not clear the problem.

While looking for a boat, I went on about four Carvers including the one I purchased. Every boat we went on had a smell that I have since been told is "Potty Boat". All of the owners and brokers advised that the boats had just been closed up for a while. I can air it out, but it never really leaves its just not as bad. I did have a local sanitation contractor come on board to let me know what he thought about the clog. After an hour long sales pitch he left with his price of $6000.00 to fix it.

I have since been reading alot and have decided to replace the sanitation lines to alleviate the clog and hopefully the odor. But it appears that the sanitation lines often fail and are pricey. I want to replace the current lines with Medium-density polyethylene (MDPE). It is flexible and impervious to permeation. My problem is, I cannot find it available in 1 1/2 ID near me. Any thoughts are appreciated. :help:

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Sanitation Lines

Postby waybomb » October 28th, 2015, 6:21 pm

There are a few manufacturers of impermeable hose; some even guaranteed for life to not let odor through.
Search the net.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 28th, 2015, 9:59 pm

You can use rigid PVC where ever possible, especially anywhere that liquid or solids will always be in the line since it is impermeable. Where impractical to use rigid line, use one of the premium hoses on the market, they are more expensive but worth it in areas as mentioned above. I can't remember the manufacturer but there is a premium grey hose on the market that's supposed to be the best but Dometic's (SeaLand) OdorSafe is a very good hose too compared to others.

You may want to consider that the blockage you're running into may actually be a check valve in the line. Some OEMs use them and put them in the worst possible places for access.

burceh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3607
Sandwedge II
USCG documented
Gulf Shores, AL

Postby burceh » October 28th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Along these same lines, any idea what is causing my head to smell so bad after flushing that you have to vacate cabin?

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » October 29th, 2015, 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I don't think its a check valve issue as I have a clear straight line view of the sanitation hose to the holding tank. Its a solid straight sanitation hose. Burceh, check your joker valve. If its worn it will allow line odor back up to the head. Mine would not seal as it was calcified. Either replace or clean it and periodically run vinegar through the line prior to pump out to keep it clean.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
1987 3697 Carver Mariner

Postby waybomb » October 29th, 2015, 12:25 pm

burceh wrote:Along these same lines, any idea what is causing my head to smell so bad after flushing that you have to vacate cabin?

The water used to flush comes from your body of water. That body of water is full of organics. These organics love to grow and rot in the hose between the through hull and your head for weeks on end; a built in cesspool in your boat.

If you do not use on-board water storage, but have a tank, You might consider changing that tank over to supply flushing water to your head.
Thanks
Fred
1987 Carver Mariner
1995 Boston Whaler Rage

burceh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3607
Sandwedge II
USCG documented
Gulf Shores, AL

Postby burceh » October 30th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Thanks. I will look at joker valve but suspect that running fresh water to flush is the answer

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » October 30th, 2015, 11:18 pm

My 3007 carries 93 gallons of water. There is a water line running from the port tank over to the starboard tank. It would be very easy for me to tap into and tee off that line so I could flush my head using the water from my freshwater tanks. Not drawing from the body of water I am in would in some ways be a plus especially since we have the algae problem every summer in Lake Erie and it does stink at times.

If I were to tap into my onboard water system would a straight tee work or would I and should I utilize some sort of check valve in the line to keep water from back flushing into my onboard water line. Water back flushing into the water line would be a concern.

What say the experts here.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
1987 3697 Carver Mariner

Postby waybomb » October 31st, 2015, 8:21 am

I am no expert, but definitely a check valve, but I also believe the fresh potable should be completely isolated from the waste system.

Even though water won't back flow through a functioning check valve, I would guess microscopic pathogens could migrate across a check valve quite readily.

I've had salmonella poisoning, I am guessing from restaurant food, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks, almost died. I take no chances anymore.
Thanks
Fred
1987 Carver Mariner
1995 Boston Whaler Rage

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 1st, 2015, 3:06 am

waybomb wrote:I am no expert, but definitely a check valve, but I also believe the fresh potable should be completely isolated from the waste system.

Even though water won't back flow through a functioning check valve, I would guess microscopic pathogens could migrate across a check valve quite readily.

I've had salmonella poisoning, I am guessing from restaurant food, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks, almost died. I take no chances anymore.

That would be my concern too which is why I am only considering it. The potential of any backflow into the fresh water tank is a concern.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “General Boating Discussion”