Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Ignition - Push button Keypad - Lockout?

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396MY - 2001

Ignition - Push button Keypad - Lockout?

Postby TomO » July 12th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Hi. Thanks for reading this post.
I have a 2001 396 MY. I have Horizon gas engines. I have the push button coded starting mechanism as opposed to a key.
My port side engine is not starting, but my starboard side engine using the same Style keypad, which is run, then start - starts right up. To give it some background, the starboard engine will give a beep when you hit the run button, then you hit start and the engine turns over. The port engine on the other hand, does not beep at all. When you hit run, start, there is completely nothing.
The starting system seems like it is locked out on the port side, as if there is no power going to the keypad.
I also have a a parallel switch, which I used just to try to see if I was not drawing enough volts on the batteries to start the engine. I am getting in excess of 15V on the batteries, but nothing is getting to the keypad.
Can anyone provide any suggestions as to what this might be.
Thanks,
Tom

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Ignition - Push button Keypad - Lockout?

Postby Viper » July 12th, 2021, 9:58 pm

There should be an ignition circuit fuse or breaker, check that first. I'd suggest making sure the shifter is in neutral but I'm pretty sure you'd still get a beep if it wasn't.

When you say push button coded starting mechanism, do you mean a key pad where you have to enter a combination for access? This was popular with Cruisers Yachts. Or are you just talking about a rocker switch; OFF/RUN/START?

Do you have ignition keys at the electrical panel? If so, one might be faulty, check the switch at the helm too.

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 12th, 2021, 11:06 pm

Viper -
Thanks for getting back to me. We did check the circuit fuse and reset all of the breakers. The push button keypad is the one Carver used in place of keys, where you can use a code to lock the engine, that you needed to put in a code like 0000 to access the use of the run/start/stop keypad.
Would you happen to know where the lockout may be? The engine last week started up without any effort whatsoever. In fact, the boat started over the last four weeks with no problem. Just today, the port engine decided to not turn over, or I should say not even crank.
Any other suggestions, it would be most appreciated.
Thanks again for all of your help,
Tom

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 13th, 2021, 6:54 am

Can you post a pic of the pad. Is ignition the only thing controlled on that pad or does it control other items as well? The pads I've seen on other brands all had control boxes mounted remotely, usually in the engine compartment. If this is the case with yours, some have additional breakers on them. You should also ensure all harness plugs at the engine and helm are firmly connected and that the contacts in them are clean and haven't backed out of their slot. The keypad could be faulty too, unfortunately, some are not easy to diagnose/test for continuity. If there are separate plugs at the pad for each engine, switch them out and see if that side of the pad will then start the other engine, if it does, you know the pad is not at fault and you need to look elsewhere. Let us know what you find as this will take us in a certain direction.

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 13th, 2021, 9:11 am

Viper -
Thanks. I will get down to the boat today and take some pics and post them.
I appreciate all of your suggestions.
Thanks again,
Tom

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 21st, 2021, 10:06 am

Viper -
Thanks for all of your help in this crazy port engine lockout. I went down to my boat yesterday. I walked on the boat and went directly to the helm to start the engines...or to see if they would start. I started the starboard, where I received the double beep letting me know the engine is ready to start. It started right up. I then went to the port engine, which I have the issue with...it started right up. Crazy. I let the engines come up to temperature. All temperatures were good, oil good, volts good. I let it run for 45 minutes. I shut the engines down. I tried to restart the engines in the same sequence. The starboard worked exactly the same, I received the two beeps (once you hit the run button) and hit start and it fired up. On the port engine - hit run and no beeps. Tried going from run to start...nothing.
Any thoughts?
All suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Tom
PS - having trouble uploading photos to the site. I am using an iPad

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 27th, 2021, 11:57 am

Need a little help, please.
I am continuing with the issue starting the Port engine. It seems to not be getting the signal to start the engine. Is there a “neutral safety switch” somewhere that I am possibly missing or needs to be reset?
I did have the engine started a week or so back. Let it run for 45 minutes. Turned it off. Let it sit for a half hour. Tried to restart the engine and got nothing.
One thing that is crazy is that I am getting three (3) beeps that happen intermittently. When the power was off and I was away, the beeping continued for four (4) days. I was called from the Marina. they thought it was a sniffer. I had to turn off the 12 volt power and then it stopped. If I turn the power back on to the engines (12 volt) and will again get the beeps from the Port engine... I do not get the beeps if I only have the Starboard engine powered up by itself. Is this a warning? Am I missing something?
Any suggestions will be most helpful.
Thank you very much in advance.
Tom

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 27th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Can't say what is up with your port engine....but next time you get that beeping with the engine off but power on.....try to see where the sound is coming from before shutting off power......behind the dash/inside salon/power panel etc......shut off the CO monitors while the beeping is occurring to see if that stops it. Good luck man intermittent problems are the worst...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 27th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Bud -
Thanks for the reply. We actually shut off the CO monitors first. We thought it was coming from the FireBoy. The sound continued. It was coming from behind the dash, where you start the port engine.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help,
Tom

TomO
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby TomO » July 28th, 2021, 3:40 pm

[image][/image]
I attached some images of the keypad and the wiring from below the keypad.
Thanks again for looking at this post.
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electrical”