Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help!!! Need info on 2005 Carver 33 SS

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Riles
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver Mariner 350

Help!!! Need info on 2005 Carver 33 SS

Postby Riles » November 10th, 2015, 10:04 am

Hi all,
My wife and I are seriously looking at a 05 Carver - 33 SS. I have a huge concern and hopefully I can get some opinions from some of you. We absolutely love the layout of this boat. It is designed into basically 3 zones and we love that. 1. entertaining 2. cooking/dining 3. sleeping/head area. Our concern (and its a big one) is the v-berth bed. When you lay on that bed with your head forward toward the V (which is the way it is designed) it is so tight that your nose has about 6 or 8 inches of clearance from the top of the boat. It is close to the point of being somewhat claustrophobic. We have been on 2 of them so far and crawled up into the bed both times and we just can't get past the fact it is so close in that area. We spend a lot of time on our boat and when your spending the kind of money that a 2005 demands, it scares me to think that something isn't perfect. My hope is that someone else on this site has spent some time on this model boat and can give me their opinion. It would be much appreciated. :usa:

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Re: Help!!! Need info on 2005 Carver 33 SS

Postby After Taxes » November 10th, 2015, 3:27 pm

The 33SS is a beautiful boat, and was renamed the 35SS in 2007 and the 36SS in 2008.

Why don't you folks look at a 36 Mariner, which has a similar sedan bridge layout and may address your concerns? I don't seem to experience the same low headroom you are describing in my Mariner bed.

Good luck on your search and purchase.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 10th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Go with your instinct - don't let someone else talk you into purchasing one if already you feel that it's got issues for your boating style. Consider what After Taxes suggests - I guarantee you that with the concerns you already have, regret would set in very quickly.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Riles
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Riles » November 11th, 2015, 1:43 pm

After Taxes wrote:The 33SS is a beautiful boat, and was renamed the 35SS in 2007 and the 36SS in 2008.

Why don't you folks look at a 36 Mariner, which has a similar sedan bridge layout and may address your concerns? I don't seem to experience the same low headroom you are describing in my Mariner bed.

Good luck on your search and purchase.

Thank you for your input. I actually have looked at a 36 Mariner and you are exactly right.......nice boat and no issues at all with head clearance. I actually like the 35 also. Huge bridge area and great for entertaining. I just have a chance to buy this 33 SS at a really good price, but if there are concerns it would probably make no sense to pursue that boat.

Riles
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Riles » November 11th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Lyndon670 wrote:Go with your instinct - don't let someone else talk you into purchasing one if already you feel that it's got issues for your boating style. Consider what After Taxes suggests - I guarantee you that with the concerns you already have, regret would set in very quickly.

That is very good advice. We just are struggling because there are a couple things we really like about this boat that other Carver models don't offer. Sometimes I feel like no boat has the perfect layout for us.

United States of America
CaptBob
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Shopping....

Postby CaptBob » November 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm

We did the exact same thing. There was a 33SS in Chattanooga, and while I liked the layout, that headroom over the bed was just way too close. We found an 04 36SS in Hendersonville (and then moved there near it, instead of moving it to Chattanooga) that fit the bill.

Bonus of the 36 over the 33, headroom over the bed is much better, dinette is up and has a really nice 360 degree view out the forward windows and to the rear, with the stairs going down into the sleeping/head area off center and curved, there is no straight sight line from the dock through the large sliding glass door down into the sleeping area. Adding further to privacy, and the very separate living areas. Cockpit, Helm, dining/cooking, sleeping. It is amazing what the couple of feet added gave that boat.

I'm a bit biased, but look for a '04 36SS.
Capt Bob!
More Nautiville 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
A little less Nauti 2008 SeaDoo 150 Speedster (Admiral could not live without a jet boat.... :captain2: )

Nautiville 2005 Cruisers 280 CXi *Sold*
Nautitown 2012 SeaDoo 180 SP *Sold*

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » November 11th, 2015, 10:53 pm

I didn't think they were all the same hull, the LOA changed with each model. Also, look at the Silverton 33SB - it's an awesome take on the style.

Good luck with your search
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Riles
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Riles » November 18th, 2015, 8:53 am

CaptBob wrote:We did the exact same thing. There was a 33SS in Chattanooga, and while I liked the layout, that headroom over the bed was just way too close. We found an 04 36SS in Hendersonville (and then moved there near it, instead of moving it to Chattanooga) that fit the bill.

Bonus of the 36 over the 33, headroom over the bed is much better, dinette is up and has a really nice 360 degree view out the forward windows and to the rear, with the stairs going down into the sleeping/head area off center and curved, there is no straight sight line from the dock through the large sliding glass door down into the sleeping area. Adding further to privacy, and the very separate living areas. Cockpit, Helm, dining/cooking, sleeping. It is amazing what the couple of feet added gave that boat.

I'm a bit biased, but look for a '04 36SS.

Thanks for the info....we looked at this boat 3 different times and just can't get past the fact that the bed is so tight to ceiling really bad design. My brother had a 04 36ss............very nice boat. Don't like the toilet in the shower, but could live with it.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » November 21st, 2015, 4:43 pm

With absolutely no disrespect intended to anyone with that model, I would like to comment on the head which is located within the shower stall. We moved to the Carver from a Cruisers Yachts 320 Express, with one reason being that we disliked showering with a wet toilet, and so we very much wanted a boat with a separate shower, and are enjoying it immensely. If this is an important feature for you and family, it may be worth your consideration.
Last edited by After Taxes on November 22nd, 2015, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » November 22nd, 2015, 2:32 am

After Taxes wrote:With absolutely no disrespect intended to anyone with that model, I would like to comment on the head which is located within the shower stall. We moved to the Carver from a Cruisers Yachts 320 Express, with one reason being that we disliked showering with a wet toilet, and so we very much wanted a boat with a separate shower, and are enjoying it immensely.

I agree. When I took my first look at my 81 3007 Aft Cabin I was mildly surprised to find a separate shower in a 30' boat. I too like having a shower that is separate from the head area.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”