Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2000 450 Voyager Head vent fans

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
dkslange
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 450 Voyager

2000 450 Voyager Head vent fans

Postby dkslange » March 15th, 2016, 11:22 am

I have recently purchased a 2000 450 Voyager with neither the guest head ventilation fan, nor the master head ventilation fan working. I have done some cursory searching for the fans locations, but have come up empty. Does anyone know how to get to these fans for repair or replacement?

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2000 CARVER 456 MY
Full Bridge and aft deck enclosure
Originally purchased in Staten Island
Second owner also purchased in Staten Island in 2012
Now berthed in Toronto Canada
A wonderful and fully appointed luxury yacht.

Re: 2000 450 Voyager Head vent fans

Postby SHEMP » March 15th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Hi there , I have a 2000 456 My
Firstly , it's very unusual that both fans would fail at the same time or at all considering how infrequently they need to be used.
I'm assuming you've checked your circuit breaker panels.
In both of my head compartments the fans are operated by typical wall switches.
Both fans are attached directly behind the wall grill , which is approx. 4" square. The grills are plastic and off white in colour.
The fan in the Aft Head on my boat is accessed through a removable panel held on by 4 screws. Access is limited but it's there.
The fan in my Fwd Head is located above the bath tub but access is from behind the Salon Couch Back. In my case , I hope I don't have to get at that one. It's a tight squeeze.
I did look up the make model and serial number and easily found the exact fan online.
It appears that these fan motors have lubrication ports . You might have to remove the mayor to drop some oil into those ports.
I would definetely check your circuit breakers first .
I couldn't imagine Carver making these fans optional .
Good luck
Victor

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby SHEMP » March 15th, 2016, 2:34 pm

Additionally I forgot mention that both Heads are on the Starboard side of my boat , could be different on your Voyageur.

dkslange
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dkslange » March 16th, 2016, 9:28 am

Thank you Victor, I have checked the breakers, the boat spent it's first 15 years in Florida with only 390 hours put on the engines. I have a feeling the environment coupled with the lack of use is what caused the malfunction. The heads in this boat are one each side, I will give what you suggested a try and see what I can come up with.

Darryl

SHEMP
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby SHEMP » March 16th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Hi Darryl
I think you are correct , I hadn't thought of the salt and possible corrosion. Perhaps the armatures are stuck and a little lube and persuasion will get them going.
This morning while leaving my boat , I looked at the Stainless grills on the Hull side , this is another good clue to where your fans are located.
I also brought my boat from the Coast and although minor, I do expect some corrosion issues. I did replace all of my Ball valves as a precaution .
I'm located in downtown Toronto Canada. Where do you have your boat?
I decided to get the 456 because I live aboard year round but I looked at and love the Voyageur as well .
Good luck
Victor

dkslange
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby dkslange » March 17th, 2016, 8:43 am

Hi Victor,
We're slipped in Prescott, WI, near Minneapolis, MN. I wish we were live aboard, but that will come with time, that's the retirement plan. We bought this particular boat for that and to do the loop on.
Regards,
Darryl

United States of America
Icango560
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Voyager 560, 675 Volvo’s.

Postby Icango560 » August 8th, 2021, 3:21 pm

How did you get the starboard head fan out. Mine (560) Is behind a 6” screw off hole in the back of the forward stateroom storage closet. I can see it but no way i can reach it or the screws that hold it in.

United States of America
Icango560
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver Voyager 560, 675 Volvo’s.

Postby Icango560 » August 8th, 2021, 5:26 pm

The vent van for the port head on my 560 voyager is behind the microwave oven in the kitchen. Took me two years to find it after help from Patric Deal (boat broker in Chattanooga) He is a great guy if you ever need to buy or sell a boat.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”