Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

506 thruster batteries relocation

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

506 thruster batteries relocation

Postby Carpediem » August 23rd, 2021, 12:14 am

So when I moved up from the 44DB to the Carver 506 I knew I was going to miss some of the quality and common sense engineering that I came to enjoy in the Sea Ray. One such goofy thing I decided to change was the access to the engine room. The engine room is accessed via a ladder under the stairs into the cabin. The stairs hinge forward and you climb down a fixed ladder to a landing which you then have to crawl forward five feet on then step down to the center bilge floor where it is almost a stand up situation for servicing the engines. The landing at the foot of the ladder is actually the top of the bow thruster battery box. I have a perfect alternative location for the batteries forward of the genset in the center bilge. There is even a reinforced level floor to support all four batteries. By relocating the batteries (4 Group 31s) forward, I shortened the wire run to the thruster by 15 feet of 04 wire and move the weight forward as well. I removed 100 lbs of King starboard which made up the battery box as well. The biggest improvement though is I now have a nine foot long stand up center bilge that makes working in the ER way more ergonomic. Before, I would have to kneel or sit between the aft half of the engines and drives. I installed a new raised aluminum diamond plate floor to have a level, dry place to stand. I have yet to figure out how to insert pictures to forum posts or I would post some.
Having double the stand up room for ER access is so much nicer now. Next project is to tackle deep cleaning the bilge and prep for paint. I am going to clad the tops of the center engine beams with diamond plate once I take care of some surface corrosion and paint. Having the batteries 12 feet further forward should help the thruster over time and trimming at cruise, have yet to test the latter. It was an ambitious project but honestly it went pretty quickly, I only came up with the idea a week ago.
Carpe Diem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 506 thruster batteries relocation

Postby RGrew176 » August 23rd, 2021, 3:21 am

Sounds like a great modification on your part. Hopefully you can figure out how to post pics. It would be great to share those with the whole forum.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 23rd, 2021, 9:57 am

Sounds like the mod really made a difference for accessibility :down:

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Postby Carpediem » August 23rd, 2021, 11:56 pm

Here are some pics, Had a brain fart last night.
IMG_3426.jpg
Sorry they are not in order, the last one is the before pic of the view looking down the ladder at the box that was removed. The one with the diamond plate installed is the after shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » August 24th, 2021, 12:57 am

Looks great.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore