Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Port Listing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Terra Nova
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sports Sedan

Port Listing

Postby Terra Nova » September 12th, 2021, 7:00 pm

I have a 2002 410 Sport Sedan and the boat lists slightly to Port. I have checked the hull and there is no water in the bilge at all. The boat is completely dry. The only thing on the port side that was after market are 2 x 8D house batteries but I am not sure that would cause the listing. Does anybody have a similar model boat? Is this just the way the boat is and its weight distribution?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Port Listing

Postby RGrew176 » September 13th, 2021, 2:30 am

My 81 3007 Aft Cabin has a slight starboard list. My previous boat a 99 Bayliner 3055 had a port list. Sometimes I think it comes with the territory. Hopefully someone with the same model will be able to assist you.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 13th, 2021, 10:12 am

There are a number of things that could cause this. Gear and/or equipment weight distribution, fuel tanks being at different levels, or if there really is a list. Are you comparing water level based on bottom paint waterline? That line could be slightly higher on one side. Good luck, somebody with the same model will answer at some point. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 13th, 2021, 11:37 am

2 8D's are quite a bit of weight. That's like a whole person extra sitting on the port side of the boat.

My boat always had a slight starboard list, so I just always kept a little more fuel on the port side

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 13th, 2021, 11:56 am

Terra Nova wrote:Source of the post I have a 2002 410 Sport Sedan and the boat lists slightly to Port. I have checked the hull and there is no water in the bilge at all. The boat is completely dry. The only thing on the port side that was after market are 2 x 8D house batteries but I am not sure that would cause the listing. Does anybody have a similar model boat? Is this just the way the boat is and its weight distribution?

Those batteries are heavy that is for sure, somewhere around 150 lbs each or more depending on the capacity..... This leads to my question. How far are they mounted from the boat centerline/keel ? The further away the more the effect.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » September 14th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Take a couple buddies and have them walk to the starboard side and see how much it takes to level it out. That should give you an idea of how much weight you need to either move, or counter.
Best not to use wives in this situation, could make for awkward math.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 14th, 2021, 4:38 pm

chpsk8 wrote:Source of the post.....Best not to use wives in this situation, could make for awkward math.
:lol:

Topic author Canada
Terra Nova
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 410 Sports Sedan

Postby Terra Nova » September 28th, 2021, 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone! Great help. I think it is the 8Ds. I did have the neighbours (minus the wives) stand on the starboard side and it straightened right out. Total weight was about 300 lbs. The 8Ds sit right against the hull on the port side. I am looking to move them to the center of the boat in the spring.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 28th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Another solution is to add a 1/2 lift to your port side shoe. the boat should then look level when you are on the dock looking at the boat! :lol:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”