Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Vacuflush Help

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Vacuflush Help

Postby denpooch » August 3rd, 2022, 8:25 pm

Calling all Vacuflush experts!
Today on the last day or our one week cruise the Vacuflush system started making a 'banging' sound when the vacuum pump is working. Way out of the normal flushing sound.
I called Dometic technical support who suggested that it could be a quick fix and they referred me to the local distributor. He suggested that it can be any number of things and referred me to a service guy he uses. I placed a call and don't expect to her back any time soon.
There is no leaking. The unit creates a vacuum. However, the banging is not a good thing.
The distributor told me that I should not run the flush in the current state.
All thought and suggestions are welcomed.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Vacuflush Help

Postby KyleR » August 3rd, 2022, 9:48 pm

Maybe the motor came loose or a mount has cracked allowing the motor to "flop" around while it is running? Can you get to the unit to see it in operation?
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » August 4th, 2022, 4:31 am

KyleR wrote:Source of the post Maybe the motor came loose or a mount has cracked allowing the motor to "flop" around while it is running? Can you get to the unit to see it in operation?

This was my initial though also. Check the mechanical connections between the bellows and the motor including motor mounts.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » August 4th, 2022, 6:59 am

I agree, check the pump. While you're there, check the voltage to the pump while it's working. I was called in after a customer replaced a new pump twice due to banging and the cause was a corroded connection in the harness plug to the pump. Low voltage will prevent the motor from working properly, affecting a smooth rotation and cause a knock. I cut the plug out, connected the wires together, problem solved. I've also seen worn and or loose pump components cause the same symptom, especially at the actuator/cam from the motor to the bellows.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » August 8th, 2022, 11:47 am

Thank you for all of your suggestions.
I found and resolved the problem with a Dockmate.
On the shaft of the motor which in turn actuates the bellows, there is an 'eccentric' fitting which is secured by a set screw. The set screw was very loose which created a 'wiggle' with the interface to the bellows and the loud banging noise.
We tightened up the screw and now it is working perfectly.
Of course, I still have not heard back from two different Vacuflush technicians....
Take care.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 8th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Well that was shitty of them not to reply! LOL!!!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”