Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Solid or Cored Hull

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
Brianna
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Considering 1977 Mariner 33

Solid or Cored Hull

Postby Brianna » October 22nd, 2014, 10:02 am

I am considering the purchase of a 1977 Mariner 33 but I have a few questions.
For some reason there are 3 of them for sale in my immediate area. All for $3,500 or less.

First of all, are there some big known problems with the 1977s that they are so inexpensive compared to other Carvers?

With proper maintenance is it likely that the chevy 350s are still in serviceable shape?

Most importantly, does anyone know whether the hull (below the water line) was still solid glass core or was Carver already using balsa core in 1977?
That will be the deal-breaker for me. I can rebuild the interior and rebuild the engines, but I don't want to get involved with a possibly soggy balsa-cored hull.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Solid or Cored Hull

Postby Ramsport47 » October 23rd, 2014, 6:36 am

First and foremost, the 1977 3396 Mariner is a fully cored boat. all the way to the keel. In your question, you refer to Carver as being solid glass BEFORE cored, when it was actually the reverse. When they made the switch to fiberglass, they started as fully cored boats and then, in the 1980's, starting with the new 3007 and 3027, the started the solid fiberglass bottoms. For future reference...any Carver model ending in 6...is a cored bottom, and anything ending in 7 or higher is a solid fiberglass bottom.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

vitmus
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 carver 466 twin volvo 63's

Postby vitmus » February 10th, 2016, 1:28 am

My carver 466 has NO wood below the water line. Composite stringers.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » February 10th, 2016, 6:27 am

vitmus wrote:Source of the post My carver 466 has NO wood below the water line. Composite stringers.

This is true. Many Carver models, starting with the 4207 in the mid 80's used a "top hat" stringer system, which was a hollow fiberglass stringer system made on a mold and then fiberglassed into the hull while it was still in it's mold to assure consistency. Later, all wood was removed in that mounting platforms were made out of synthetic material to ensure that not rot would occur in the hull of the boat.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 10th, 2016, 6:53 am

Brianna wrote:Source of the post .....With proper maintenance is it likely that the chevy 350s are still in serviceable shape?.....

The key is proper maintenance. Not so concerned with the age or number of hours within reason as much as whether they were maintained properly on a regular basis.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”