Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Starting Issue

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
captainndiet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 38 ft Santego 2002
Volvo 8.1 GI-IA

Starting Issue

Postby captainndiet » March 1st, 2016, 5:30 pm

I have a question.

I have a 2002 380 Santego powered by 2 8.1 GI-IA Volvo engines. Recently the port engine has been giving me some starting issues.

Last weekend ran great started every time.

Prior week.
I turned the key no audible alarm, the engine would crank but not start.

I am worried that one time I am able to leave port and I go to return the intermittent problem will leave me in the gulf with only 1 engine

I did some research and I had my battery switch on both all the time Since last weekend I turn if off when not at the boat and I rotate from 1 to 2 every other day.

Should I look at the relays or is this possibly a charging issues
Last edited by captainndiet on March 2nd, 2016, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Guy
Member Clearwater Yacht Club
2002 380 Santego Carver / current
1997 230 Express Monterey
2005 370 Express Cruiser
1983 24 Pro Line w/1993 175 Evinrude
1997 30 Chaparral
1994 24 Stingray

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Starting Issue

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2016, 9:04 pm

Could be a number of things.
- Does this happen the first time you try starting on the weekend or will it happen any time like a couple of hours after a run, you try and it won't start again?
- Is it always a no start symptom or has it stalled out as well?
- When it cranks and won't start, can you hear the fuel pump working?
- When were the plugs last changed?
- Have you checked to ensure the harness plug and all other plugs are tight, contacts are clean, etc?
- I believe there is an ignition breaker and a relay box. Check the connections at all these points. I've also had issues with the breakers.
- Make sure the batteries are good, have them tested, and ensure the connections are tight and clean at the battery end and the engine end.

The more info you can provide, the better.

The good thing about having twins is that you can swap out parts from one engine to the other and see if the problem follows the part. Just make sure you change only one part at a time, and once you're convinced it's not the issue, put it back in the original engine and then swap out the next part. This way you'll know for sure which part is faulty.

summerda
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 3807

Postby summerda » March 1st, 2016, 9:17 pm

I second checking the harness by the circuit breakers by the engines. Though not an 8.1, I had a 4.3 where this harness become temperamental. It would just crank and crank. After some fidgeting and tightening the clamp at a slight angle, poof it started right up. A Volvo mechanic gave me the tip. Most likely I bumped it while servicing the engines.
Good luck.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2016, 9:51 pm

Oooops, and welcome aboard Tim :-D

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 2nd, 2016, 10:08 am

The problem here could go in either of two directions - fuel or ignition. You need to eliminate one so you can focus on the other. Ignition is the easiest to check, so start with that: Remove the boot from a spark plug, stick a screwdriver in the end of the boot to make connection, place the screwdriver somewhere so it's about 1/4" from a grounded surface and have someone turn the engine over. Be careful and aware that the engine might start! You should get a nice, bright spark from the screwdriver shaft to the ground when the engine is turning over. If not, it's time to look into connections on the electronic ignition system. The individual components on these big-blocks are pretty reliable, so it's usually a loose or corroded connection. Another issue can be a place where a lead or wire rubs against a metal surface, the insulation wears through, and you get a short.

Again, the 8.1Gi has an electronic fuel injection that has proven very reliable, so fuel issues are usually supply-related. Any chance of water in the tank? What you are describing can be caused by some water getting in the fuel system. Do you have a gas/water separator? Check it and see what's there. If you don't have a separator, put a bottle of fuel treatment (I like the StarBrite Star-Tron) in the tank that feeds the troubled engine, run the boat around a bit, and see if it fixes the problem.

After these easier-to-check things, you would need to move on to more detailed troubleshooting. :banghead: Hope this helps and good luck!
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author United States of America
captainndiet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 38 ft Santego 2002
Volvo 8.1 GI-IA

Postby captainndiet » March 2nd, 2016, 10:28 am

Great. I am headed to the boat tomorrow so we will see what we find. Thanks for the replies
Tim Guy
Member Clearwater Yacht Club
2002 380 Santego Carver / current
1997 230 Express Monterey
2005 370 Express Cruiser
1983 24 Pro Line w/1993 175 Evinrude
1997 30 Chaparral
1994 24 Stingray

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”