Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Maxwell 800 Windlass

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Maxwell 800 Windlass

Postby Viper » March 12th, 2016, 8:48 pm

The only red flag with the RC10 is that it comes in 1000 and 1200 watt versions. Your current Freedom 800 is a 1000 watt unit and I would err on the side of caution that the current wiring's spec is maxed for the 1000 watts with perhaps a bit of a safety margin but taking measurements is the only way to be sure. The RC10 1000 watt is the one you want though if you plan on keeping your current rode with 5/16" chain as the 1200 watt unit jumps to 3/8" and 1/2". If you plan on upgrading to the 1200 watt unit, talk to Maxwell about your current wiring or look on their website at the Freedom 800 manual and the RC10 1200 watt manual for the wiring spec and compare the two to see if you need to upgrade the wiring as well. If your cable runs all the way to the engine compartment, replacement will be pricey.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » March 12th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Noted Viper,
Thanks for the information. I should hear back this week from Maxwell and I will ask these questions.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 30th, 2016, 8:10 am

Went with the RC 8/8 from Maxwell. After speaking with thier customer service, they advised that the 8/8 was an exact fit but with many advancements over the Freedom series. I had to hole saw out a larger chain access hole for the locker but that was a quick fix. I purchased from Defender. Make sure you buy from a certified vendor. If Maxwell does not know the seller, (Amazon, Ebay, Etc.) They will not warranty any Maxwell product through third party purchases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 30th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Looks great. They're a good unit.

I don't see a chain stop set up. Every windlass installation with the exception of some special designs should incorporate this. In your case, you can utilize the cable design and fasten it to the cleat. These grab the chain when anchored out, and transfer the load to the cleat rather than the windlass hardware. It also serves as a safety hold in case the clutch loosens up while you're under way, thus preventing your anchor from dropping, bouncing off the water and smashing into your hull. Seen it happen many times.

There are many styles and brands out there. Here are some examples:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--chain-stoppers--P005_155_002_501

You would use something similar to this one for fastening to the cleat
https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/lanyard-anchor-retainer-265-08-14-255-x55-09-14-chain-stop-for-windlass

http://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=anchor+chain+tensioner

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 30th, 2016, 9:22 pm

That's how it was delivered. I have cables and snubbors on the way. Thanks

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 30th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Sorry Wayne, I should have clarified; it's an accessory that does not come with a windlass kit but it's something that should be added on to a windlass installation.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 31st, 2016, 6:45 am

Point noted, if you didn't know about these items you would be buying a new windlass in short order. Thx

Brazil
Hugo
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Hugo » April 4th, 2016, 9:25 am

Do you anchor and leave the load on the windlass? That would be a good reason to find chewed up gears. Another one would be if the gear case was leaking oil and you didn't catch it... I have the same windlass and use it every weekend for many years. That windlass has a max working load of 400lbs so make sure to tie a rolling hitch knot to the chain and rope it to a cleat if you haven't been...

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » April 4th, 2016, 10:00 am

Thanks Hugo,
I actually never had the chance to use this windlass. I recently purchased this boat and had problems with the windlass from the beginning. The surveyor checked that it had power and did not operate it. The motor was still good and powered up. When I tried to use it I knew it needed to be repaired or replaced. During replacement, I removed all the chain and rope from the locker to clean it out. I found additional pressure arm pieces, sand, paper, etc. at the bottom with other unknown mechanical debris. The chain wheel housing also had no pressure arm when removed. It was time to go !Thanks for the advice though.........

:usa:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”