Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 530 Voyager

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
deenbob1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Carver 530 Voyager

Postby deenbob1 » April 7th, 2016, 9:03 am

We are in the process of selling our home and plan on buying a boat to live on. We are looking at the 530 voyager. We like the layout and the fact of getting off/on the boat without climbing ladders. The voyager normally comes with either Volvo or Cummins engines. Doe anyone have any feedback on their experiences with these engines? I would prefer Cummins but most of the voyagers on the market have Volvo engines. Like anything else, if you take care of your equipment with preventative measures you'll have a lot less problems with them.

Thanks for any input.

Capt Bob

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Re: Carver 530 Voyager

Postby Lyndon670 » April 7th, 2016, 5:11 pm

I have the Volvos and can't say a negative thing, but the question is the parallel of the Ford vs Chevy debate. You will find pros and cons from everyone and will probably work out to even in the end. A well maintained set of higher hour mains is better than a low hour non maintained engine. Biggest tip is to get an engine survey from a local tech that specializes in your brand. That should include an oil sample test as well.

Personally, when i bought my 506, I only went for fresh water examples. Besides the obvious corrosion issues, fresh water boats are typically lower hour boats because of the shorter season. I bought mine from the original owner with just under 200 hours on the mains and every work order since it left the factory.

I envy you and your wife for the adventure you are about to begin. We purchased our 506 in 2014 with the same long term goal. The Voyager is a fantastic boat. If we didn't choose the 506 we probably would have gone for the 570.

Good luck and enjoy your search!
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

theruotolos
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Voyager 530 Pilothouse - Volvos 480hp

Postby theruotolos » April 7th, 2016, 6:45 pm

I had Cummins on my 45 Silverton and loved them. I just bought the 530 voyager with volvos. Loved them. A little more expensive to repair and parts but seem rock solid. My cousin who has owned every engine known to man just sold his boat with volvos and was very impressed! In 3 weeks I am taking boat from Miami to Annapolis. That will,be the big test!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 7th, 2016, 10:00 pm

In my area, it's much easier to get parts for Volvos. I can look up and get just about any Volvo part overnight unless Volvo doesn't have it in stock. Cummins, not so much. Volvo has a much larger dealer network for accessibility. Not impossible for Cummins, just not as convenient. Both good engines so I would do some research in the area you plan on boating the most and check the marinas for accessibility to parts for both brands to get a feel from them on just how easy it is to get parts for both brands. You may not get a truthful answer from a marina though so the best feedback would be another boater with Cummins or Volvo in your area. I've never heard of issues with getting Volvo anywhere but I suppose it's possible.

Nothing worse than wanting to get underway and not being able to because you have to wait for parts or can't get a tech who knows your brand.

Topic author
deenbob1
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby deenbob1 » April 8th, 2016, 4:12 am

Thanks guys. Like anything else in this world, everyone had good experiences and everyone had bad experiences. Getting the engines surveyed is a must along with the gen and the boat. I will post to the forum when plan of attach is in the implementation stage. Yes, I will include pictures. We already have a slip. Here is the web site: www.rdmarina.com.

United States of America
Seaquestered
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Voyager 530 2 X Volvo 480hp
I just bought her July 2014 in New England and will be taking her to Florida to be shipped to the west coast

Postby Seaquestered » April 9th, 2016, 1:41 pm

I have the Volvos on seaquestered for 2001 530 the engines have been fine no major problem there are seven voyages in the club Del Rey Yacht Club in Los Angeles and nobody's seen it all seems unhappy with either engine the roads are a little more pricey on parts but other than that everything is fine
Seaquestered
2001 Voyager 530
Volvo TAMD74 480hp ea
Marina del Rey, CA

SouthernCross
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 530 Voyager (1998)

Postby SouthernCross » June 1st, 2016, 5:51 pm

Hello Captain Bob,
Owner of the Voyager 530 and love the boat, were actually in the process of doing some updates (keep me in mind if you want to buy, the boat is always for sale) Anyway, our's is the 1998 so older and it has the 450 Cummins we have run the heck out of them. Now mind you the first owner didn't break the engines in correctly and so we finally got tired of the smoking (use to smoke like a chimney) at 1850 hours, I decided to have them tore down to the block and rebuilt, then have about 60 hours now and only smoke when they are cold the norm. So I like you love the cummins, old dogs are great. She doesn't run as fast as the Volvo but heck getting there is the fun.

As far as your marina, love it we had the voyager there for 4 years and decided to move it back to the east coast. any questions let me know.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”