Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver mariner 350

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author
jporta
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Currently looking for a boat

Carver mariner 350

Postby jporta » April 6th, 2016, 6:45 pm

I am looking at a 2000 Mariner 350 and I would like to have some feedback on the performance of this boat in choppy waters and how easy or difficult it is to handle in windy conditions.
Thanks in advance.
John

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Re: Carver mariner 350

Postby feeez » April 6th, 2016, 7:49 pm

We are entering our 3rd year with our 2001 350.
It really depends on what you define as "choppy". Like most boats of this genre I would never classify her as a heavy weather boat. We boat up in Georgian Bay which is a large area of Lake Huron. I have been out in 4 foot waves and the boat handled it OK but I would not have wanted to be out in that for hours on end and not much more than that either. We tend to use ours as you would a trawler, 7 to 9 knots, sit back and enjoy the water.
As far as handling goes, well all power boats in that class are nothing more than ping pong balls on top of the water. I always wish I had at least a bow thruster when backing into my slip on a breezy day. Without the thruster you have to play the wind and I have yet to not get the job done even after a couple of aborts!!!
Aside from all that I don't think you will find a 35 with more accommodation and amenities than this era of the Mariner.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.
Cheers
Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

docbob3704
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 350 Mariner with 3.5 Volvo pentas. Lake Erie, Niagara River, Buffalo NY
1st Carver

Postby docbob3704 » April 6th, 2016, 8:09 pm

I do most of my boating on Lake Erie and the Niagara River and I love my 2002 Mariner. It will handle 3 to 4 foot chop pretty well without rattling your teeth. As far as handling in windy conditions it can be quite a challenge some days especially combined with the current on the Niagara River. We still love the boat. You won't find a better platform for cruising and short trips.

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » April 7th, 2016, 2:31 pm

As a former owner of a 2001 Mariner 350, I can say it's a nice boat to handle, bow thruster would be an asset. The boat can be difficult to dock in winds but so are most boats, overall it's a great 2 person boat, we loved ours

Topic author
jporta
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Currently looking for a boat

Postby jporta » April 7th, 2016, 7:31 pm

I understand that the poor handling in windy day is due to the flat bottom. Do you agree with that?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » April 8th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I believe most of the people responding are on inland lakes.

I've boated Lake Michigan, Chesapeake Bay, and Pacific Ocean.

You are in California, correct? I was in Ventura, visited all the ports from Santa Barbara down to San Diego, and all the channel islands off the coast.

Boating in your region is an entirely different thing than Lake Michigan or the Chesapeake.

Your marine forecast will call for things such as 6 foot, 25 second, meaning, the wave height will vary up to 6 feet, with peaks at 25 second intervals. I had a 28' Carver out in 8 foot 20 second. It was a breeze, though climbing that first big hill was an experience, along with skimming down the backside.

However, the lakes do not have wave intervals. The waves are usually not regular, and are way closer together than what you will experience. 4 footers in Lake Michigan can be very uncomfortable in a 2807 like we had. On the ocean, no problem.

Watch the weather and marine reports, don't go out when they call for waves of size on short intervals, and I think you will be fine.

Stay out of the shipping channel, and have a decent radar.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Makin Waves
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 46MY

Postby Makin Waves » April 9th, 2016, 11:20 am

jporta wrote:Source of the post I understand that the poor handling in windy day is due to the flat bottom. Do you agree with that?

That has a lot to do with it, being a bridge boat adds to the issue, overall not bad

Return to “General Boating Discussion”