Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Can't find neutral

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author
tonym
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1980 Santa Cruz 2866
T302 pleasure crafts
B/W velvets

Can't find neutral

Postby tonym » April 14th, 2016, 10:37 am

Greetings All,
Any suggestions as to why I can't find neural on a B/W Velvet drive ?
thanks,
tony

tightfit
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Can't find neutral

Postby tightfit » April 14th, 2016, 12:16 pm

If you would have listened to your wife and put it where it belongs you would be able to find it when you need it
LOL

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » April 15th, 2016, 6:21 am

tonym; Could you be a little more specific? When in the neutral position its still in forward or reverse, meaning the transmission is not disengaging? Or is it a cable issue? My guess is the clutches are not disengaging all the way. A transmission flush may solve the problem, or a total rebuild may have o be done, after all it's 36 years old and may have had a rough life?
Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 15th, 2016, 8:31 pm

tonym wrote:Source of the post Greetings All,
Any suggestions as to why I can't find neural on a B/W Velvet drive ?
thanks,
tony

It won't come out of gear or nothing happens when you try to start the engine?

Topic author
tonym
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
T302 pleasure crafts
B/W velvets

Postby tonym » April 17th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Motor starts and runs well ( 1,100 hours ) but the prop is turning about 30 rpm's. I have since found a PCM manual and have learned that Velvets are a hydraulicly operated planetary gear box. SWEET !! I know what that is and why they shift like butter. Just no prior experience

Topic author
tonym
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
T302 pleasure crafts
B/W velvets

Postby tonym » April 17th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Just a little history. I purchased the boat July of '15 from a dealer but I am the second owner. The last registration was 2010 so it sat for a while. The previous owner seems to have taken very good care of her and it was in the water when I seen her for the first time. Love at first sight so all the TLC she has gotten is truly labor of love. It's the largest boat I have owned and the first with twins.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 17th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Ensure the shifter is in neutral, then carefully disconnect the shift cable from the tranny shift lever without changing its position and move the lever manually to see if it is actually in the neutral detent all the way or not. If it moves into the neutral detent and the shaft stops spinning, ensure the shifter at the helm is still in the neutral position then adjust the cable end trunnion so it slides into the tranny shift lever in the neutral position without moving it.

If you manually move the lever into the neutral detent and the shaft continues to spin, you likely have stuck clutch plates. Check the oil to ensure it's clean and at the right level. Short of that, it's likely a teardown to fix the problem. Could be warped plates, or a control valve problem.

Topic author
tonym
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
T302 pleasure crafts
B/W velvets

Postby tonym » April 18th, 2016, 11:32 am

thanks Viper, the boat is still on the hard but i will check the cable to see if it is physicaly in neutral. the manual offered the same two suggestions clutch plate and control valve.
will start with the easy one the control valve maybe its gunked up, fluid seems to be clear.
do you know what kind of life i should expect from the ford 302's ?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 18th, 2016, 8:53 pm

tonym wrote:Source of the post ....do you know what kind of life i should expect from the ford 302's ?

Really depends on maintenance history, how the boat was used over the years, etc. more than anything. If they were always well maintained, they should last a long time, poorly maintained; not so much. While I don't stress too much about the number of hours on an engine, it's a good gauge on whether that time is soon approaching.

Why are you asking? Do you have a runability issue? How many hours on her? If you're wondering about her condition, a compression test, vacuum test, etc. will tell you a lot.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”