Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tides sure seal hose routing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
anothernewb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner
Twin Mercruiser 5.7l Horizon
Garmin 4212

Tides sure seal hose routing

Postby anothernewb » April 20th, 2016, 10:33 pm

I'm so close to firing up my 350 mariner for the first time but for the life of me I can't figure out where the second hose for the prop shaft seals go.

Port exhaust riser_____prop seal____prop seal____????

Can any of you fill in the blank. Only one riser has a nipple for the hose to the water seal. I've checked all the manifolds and risers and can't find another.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Tides sure seal hose routing

Postby Viper » April 20th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Should be one on each engine to its own shaft log.

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Postby Ramsport47 » April 21st, 2016, 6:28 am

I believe the second one connects the two shaft seals together, in case one water pump fails or water stops flowing for some reason, you still have cooling water running to the second seal
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 21st, 2016, 10:11 pm

Kenny, by the original post, my take is that he has a line going from port to the seal, then to the next seal, and nowhere from there, but there should be one from each engine.

I haven't had a chance to confirm yet but I seem to recall a Mercruiser bulletin about not hooking up the two seals to each other. If I remember right, this came about as a result of engine water intrusion. The reported faults happened as a result of the following; when heading back to shore on one engine after the other failed to run for one reason or another, water that was discharged from the running engine's exhaust through the dripless shaft seal on that engine's side, would as it was designed, also feed the opposite side that had the failed engine. The issue was that the exhaust water going through the failed engine's shaft seal would carry on through the seal and up to the engine that wasn't running as it would not encounter any water pressure from the non-running engine. Somehow, under the right running conditions, water would enter the exhaust side and run into any cylinder who's exhaust valve was in the open position. Merc's suggestion was to isolate the two seal assemblies by capping of the ports leading to the opposite seal. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can confirm (or deny).

Topic author
anothernewb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner
Twin Mercruiser 5.7l Horizon
Garmin 4212

Postby anothernewb » April 23rd, 2016, 2:40 pm

Thanks for the info. I still haven't figured it out but Vipers comment makes sense. There is a hose that crosses the two seals together.

Anyone with a 350 Mariner want to take a peek in their engine room and check for me?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”