Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Greetings a Newbie here,always wanted a boat now is

Are you a new member? Stop in and say hi!

Topic author
stlbob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: looking to purchase

Greetings a Newbie here,always wanted a boat now is

Postby stlbob » June 20th, 2013, 8:01 am

I hoping by getting the info from people who know i can avoid some pitfalls.

Done a ton of reading been to the local Marinas here a few times,know some boat techs ( i did cars for 30 years)
and been on a few forums.With all that the Carver hands down is what i want.The wife and i will be spending a few weekends and longer a a few times some friends would be along some comfort and not being crunched in on each is important and no one does all that like Carver.

Wanting a little advice on my first boat ( yeah im a real newbie ) what to look for and just how you like your Carver.

Thanks all.

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Greetings a Newbie here,always wanted a boat now is

Postby CYO Admin » June 20th, 2013, 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search!

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 20th, 2013, 1:31 pm

How big is your first going to be? Where will you boat? Will you be taking extended cruises or short trips to the next port? You say overnight with friends. So you are looking at an Aft Cabin boat with completely separate staterooms, or will the guests get to sleep "on the couch". Four people on a small boat is not fun!

I've had two Carvers, and am restoring a third one now. One of them was in Lake Michigan, then the Chesapeake Bay, then the Pacific Ocean, and then back to Lake Michigan (all over land!). Lotsa memories.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
stlbob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby stlbob » June 20th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Aft cabin would be ideal..most times just the wife and i..i have seen Carvers and they are so well laid out.We will be doing river running down to Cario ill. and back up past St.louis.A lot of weekends on the boat,fishing,relaxing.AC in the cabin is important.May even one day do the 'short loop'.

30-32ft is where im finding something that wouldnt have me worried in these quick,violent tstorms that pop up.And at that size lots of interior layouts.Looking at a 1990 30ft. Santego Flybridge that is updated and has low hours and all service records. $12800.00

Topic author
stlbob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby stlbob » June 20th, 2013, 7:31 pm

What Carver has the best interior layout..?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
1987 3697 Carver Mariner

Postby waybomb » June 20th, 2013, 8:20 pm

It really depends on what you want.

The first Carver was a 28 aft. It was plenty big for us, until we found a clean 42 Aft. Bought it down by you, outside of St Louis. Absolutely beautiful boat, but had 330hp Mercs and was just too darn underpowered for Lake Michigan. I would guess on the river, it would be perfect. Sold it because it just couldn't handle following seas or anything off the side.

Bought a high power off shore race boat. Wife hates it. She wanted me to sell it. PHHHTTT!

So, for my wife, we found a fixer up 36 Mariner. For it's size, it is going to make a great 2-person cruising boat. I am guessing we will keep it for a few years. Then start looking for a 42/44 aft with 450-500hp diesel engines.

A Santego has a nice open floor plan and alot of outside space.

Whatever you do, unless you are expert in boat inspections, pay a surveyor to survey the boat and the driveline. Could save you many thousands in the future.
Thanks
Fred
1987 Carver Mariner
1995 Boston Whaler Rage

Topic author
stlbob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby stlbob » June 20th, 2013, 9:15 pm

I have learned that much if nothing else,no matter what or where i buy before any money changes hands a complete survey. Have already walked away from a boat i wanted bad because the guy got an attitude when i asked about the survey.
Are the Carvers safe in rough water..? I have read here and there complaints about that.Not many,hell for every ho-hum review i read a hundred 'I love my Carver ' reviews.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
1987 3697 Carver Mariner

Postby waybomb » June 20th, 2013, 9:50 pm

I don't know what safe in rough water means. What does rough water mean? A 15' boat in a 1 foot chop is not fun, in my 46 Cougar, a foot chop is about the minimum for getting some air under the boat and having some fun.

I'll say this, with NOAA saying small craft warnings and real 4' waves with the tops being blown of the whitecaps, which NOAA was calling 4-6', I did not feel safe in my 42 gas powered boat. I did not head out in that, but got stuck in it.

I did go out in another 42, the owner had repowered with 500 cats. We went out in similar water. I felt completely safe driving that boat. Same boat, different power and a bit heavier. It'll be my next boat after we tire of the Mariner. If we tire of the Mariner!

Best thing - if bad weather or wind is predicted, sit back, relax, and enjoy the day from land.
Thanks
Fred
1987 Carver Mariner
1995 Boston Whaler Rage

Topic author
stlbob
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby stlbob » June 20th, 2013, 9:56 pm

See i have a lot to learn...simple answer dont play in rough stuff.On the Mississippi we can get some white caps if one of these dang summer thunderstorms kicks up.A few years ago was out in it about 6 miles from a buddys slip and all hell broke loss he had a 19ft open bow walk thru and a 200 Hp Outboard..it was...a sobering bit of piloting to get us home.Couple of times i was sure we were done but we made it and since then i have always had a 'concern' about rough water.

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » June 21st, 2013, 10:18 am

Welcome!
So to your point, there will be a time that you will encounter rough water. I kind look at it as a fun challenge. The story my son likes to tell is when we had our 22' cuddy in 8' waves. He tells everyone that we were going to die. I actually had a few worries but it was just on turning in the waves. If you keep the waves from hitting you broadside, you'll be ok with these huge yachts.

Mind you it may get a little scary and rocking these boats doesn't seem to take much. I have a 33' Mariner and already had it in some 4 footers. The broadside turns rocked it quite a bit but other than that, no sweat. I had 23 people on the boat, probably 6 women on the bow, some of which are very scared of waves. They had no issues at all. I like the 'Yacht' thus far even with the excessive rocking!
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”