Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kudos To Perko

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Kudos To Perko

Postby RGrew176 » May 12th, 2016, 3:09 am

Last August I purchased my 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin. One thing that did not come with the boat was a key to the cabin doors. Somewhere over the previous 34 years and 2 owners the cabin key was lost.

I saw a code on the lock itself. I emailed Perko last week but heard nothing. Yesterday I called them and asked if it were possible for them to get me the needed key. I gave the lady on the phone the lock code. She said that is an old code, what year is your boat. I told her it was a 1981 Carver. She said that they probably did not stock keys that old but she would go and look.

She was gone a few minutes. When she came back on the line she said that she found 2 keys and that she would hold them for me. In order for them to ship the keys to me they needed me to send them a copy of the title, or registration or insurance showing that I indeed was the owner of the boat. They said for the small amount they would not let me use a credit card that I would have to send a check. No problem says I. I asked how much for the keys. She said $1.80 each for the keys and $1.50 for shipping. So, for the mere sum of $5.10 I will be able to lock the cabin doors once I launch.

I mailed out the check and the copy of the title with Wednesdays mail. Hopefully I will have the keys in a couple of weeks, hopefully sooner. Although theft is not a big problem at the marina I am at this will at least slow down a thief for a couple of seconds with the doors locked.

Once again, kudos and thanks to Perko for great customer service.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Re: Kudos To Perko

Postby SplashyLady » May 12th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Good to hear somebody still believes in customer service! :worthy:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » May 13th, 2016, 3:04 am

I was somewhat surprised that they still had keys for a boat that old. I think the lady on the phone may have been as surprised as I was that there were still keys in stock.

$5 for a couple of new keys is a lot less expensive than $99 for a new lockset. I am a happy customer.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » May 24th, 2016, 11:06 pm

I called Perko to day to check up on the progress. They said that they put my new keys in todays mail. I should have them hopefully by the end of the week. It sure will be nice to be able to lock the doors to the salon. I know that won't keep the bad guys out but it will slow them down just a bit. I really do not like leaving the boat unlocked.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » May 29th, 2016, 2:32 am

The 2 keys that Perko sent me arrived in the mail on Saturday. I will be headed back to my boat on Wednesday. Will find out then if the keys are the correct ones. Fingers crossed.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » June 1st, 2016, 5:21 am

My keys arrived in the mail on Saturday. When I got off work early Wednesday morning I loaded up some stuff and headed for the boat. I put the key in the lock and turned the lock. The one key I brought with me works like a charm. I can now lock the cabin door to my boat. Its a good feeling and a lot cheaper than a new lock set. Once again Kudos To Perko. They went the extra step and I am a happy customer.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » July 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Lucky you. Our call to Perko to get keys to our 1982 and they didn't have any available :-(

RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral

Postby RGrew176 » July 28th, 2016, 10:19 pm

Grafunkus wrote:Source of the post Lucky you. Our call to Perko to get keys to our 1982 and they didn't have any available :-(

Definitely. When I called the lady that answered the phone said she did not think they had any. She did say I was in luck when she found 2 of them. Better to be lucky sometimes. At $5.10 they are probably the least expensive thing I will ever buy for this boat.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore

Return to “General Boating Discussion”