Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Camera hook up to aft deck of a carver 356 aft cabin

Discussion of radars, GPS, autopilots, stereos and TV's. Also iPad and other mobile navigation devices.

Topic author United States of America
cpoint
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 aft cabin

Camera hook up to aft deck of a carver 356 aft cabin

Postby cpoint » June 23rd, 2016, 2:03 pm

Apologize in advance for opening a similar subject that was in this forum already (from 2013). Not sure I should have piggy-back to it or do this new post. I have carver 356 aft cabin. with 13'.3" beam, my slip is little under 14', talk about a tight slip. But location is great so I could not pass it up. Anyway, 2 months into our boating, went out maybe 4-5 times so far, first time used the mooring in center due to too much wind to make it back to slip. 2nd time went in forward for convenience factor, and rest of times Preferred method backing in, which works out fine as long as I have capable help on board and no wind. With about 3 inches to spare in my slip crew yells a lot, causing embarrassment for the captain (that be me :-D ). Long story short I purchased a backup camera, and my plotter has video in. Now I am trying to wire the camera to back (top of aft cabin), but not sure how difficult it would be to pull the wires from the ceiling of aft deck, through port side down to floor, where there is tracking channel to pull wires into command center for power and display device. I think having camera will help backing in so much better. I have perfect location in back for camera, and would have no problem once I get the wires to console base. I am sure there are already wires coming from ceiling of aft deck as there are 2 pod lights there with switch being at aft deck. Any advice from anyone? if anyone done something like this, maybe post some pic of it? Thanks.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Camera hook up to aft deck of a carver 356 aft cabin

Postby g36 » June 23rd, 2016, 2:39 pm

I have a 405 which is one size up from your 355 . Instead of a camera I ran aft facing led lights on each corner on my top facing down on the swim platform. I can tell you what I did. I also have the pod lights you mentioned and speakers in my hardtop. I removed both speakers and lights to gain some access to the space and used a fish tape to run a pull string through. I had to do the fishing in 2 steps. I also have access hole on the side of my arch and used that to fish from arch to the speaker hole. It can be done and didn't want to drill anything new but it is frustrating. I left another pull string in there in case i want to do anything else later . I would suggest you do that while your at it too.after I got everything pulled I put the lights and speakers back in. Good luck. What camera are you installing?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 23rd, 2016, 3:23 pm

thanks g36. good advice. I think I can fish the line from back, but not sure where the hole is where the pod lights wires go through to front. I guess I can see it maybe once I get in. I do have access holes on both corners, I am assuming it is the one on port side I would pull the wire through though. because I see a patch on floor on port side that I believe has wiring that goes to console box. Its just a simple backup camera, looks nice small, chrome, so it won't look awkward. Got it from amazon, very cheap and had good reviews. will see if that's the case after I install it.

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » June 23rd, 2016, 5:07 pm

What a super idea!
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » June 24th, 2016, 10:04 am

Just a quick thought here cpoint. You might want to tape the camera in place temporarily, run the cable across the floor and connect it to your plotter. That way you can verify the location provides a good view and make sure it works well.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 24th, 2016, 11:36 am

AaHubb wrote:Source of the post Just a quick thought here cpoint. You might want to tape the camera in place temporarily, run the cable across the floor and connect it to your plotter. That way you can verify the location provides a good view and make sure it works well.
..Aaron

yes excellent idea, don't want to place screw holes to find out its not working, or maybe even not worth it even if it is working.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » June 27th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Lads.....wireless camera all the way....I have one on my aft hardtop wired to the video in on my Garmin.

Disconnect your speake wire at the stereo on the dash and at your speaker. Attach TWO speaker wires to the connection at the dash, by way of a butt connector. Pull the TWO wires at the speaker at the hardtop until you have BOTH new speaker wires. One will become the power to your wireless camera. Now attach your original speaker wire to he second new wire and pull it BACK to the dash. Reconnect your speaker to your stereo and you are done.

It's wayyyyy easier to pull a speaker wire thru than a video cable. Plus, the wireless units are digital so no interference.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 28th, 2016, 12:18 am

lyndon, that sounds good. But unfortunately I do not have speakers in the back. The only power I have on the aft deck hard top is 2 puck lights, hooked up to switch in the aft deck. But may be I can use that as the guide to bring power to back of hard top for the camera.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 28th, 2016, 4:28 am

Cpoint; I bought a wireless one from Wal-Mart that they sell for your car. I drilled no holes mounting the camera, I used existing hardware on the aft deck, you could also Velcro the camera where you wanted it. I the tapped the stern light to power the camera, yes you will have to turn your navigation lights on to power the camera. I then mounted the screen with its suction cup mount at the helm and wired it to the spare switch on the helm. Your options are limitless, but all said you will be able to see everything behind you. However I do find standing at the helm facing aft and operating the shifters only the best way to back into my slip.-Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

cpoint
Commander
Commander

Postby cpoint » June 28th, 2016, 11:04 am

Mike you may be right about camera may not help. Its just that the slip is so tight with couple inches on both side and little wind pushing me out of the way, thought it may assist at least lining up strait. Currently I can't see the edges of swim platform from helm, and 2-3 inch off makes a difference in my slip. I though about putting like a stick at the corner, but don't want to look like I am learning to ride a bike with training wheels :) But I like the power idea from the stern light. Which wireless camera did you get?

Return to “Electronics & Navigation”