Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Sun Pads

ImageThis forum is for general discussion of all things Boating. If it's boating related and doesn't fit in another forum, post it here!

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Re: Sun Pads

Postby Wayne162 » March 1st, 2016, 9:28 pm

Thanks Viper,
I plan to shop around a bit before I make any decisions. A lot will depend on the craftsmanship between the numerous shops near the marina and their willingness to work with me on the project.

:usa:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 1st, 2016, 9:48 pm

If it's anything like up my way where you are, do it soon as the guys that specialize in marine fabs get booked up pretty quick approaching Spring time. Hey, did I just say Spring time? :down:

United States of America
jmm48m60
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002, carver 356 aft cabin, Crusader engs, hurth transmissions
BOAT NAME 'TANKRR'

Postby jmm48m60 » June 30th, 2016, 5:30 pm

I'm working on closing on a 2002 Carver 356....Part of the inventory was SunPads but were missing. Thanks for the discussion it helped me with the approximate value and where to get them.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Postby Wayne162 » June 30th, 2016, 7:06 pm

I had searched for bow sunpads for my 1997 405. I found that carver still makes them. Their price was estimated at around $1000 for the pair.

United States of America
carvermdo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Ultimately, found my dream '94 Carver 350 aft cabin near Mackinaw Island, Michigan in early 2018 to her new home port on Catawba, Island, Lake Erie, Ohio via Lake Huron (325 mile voyage). A wonderful first season! Looking forward to many more!

Postby carvermdo » February 13th, 2018, 1:47 pm

:captain2:
:pirate: Spirit III, Captain Michael

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 13th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Ok, someone tell me this can't be done...
Any local upholstery shop can easily make the pads for a couple hundred dollars, right?
The problem is the snaps and locating them on the pads.
Why can't the boatowner just make a template of the bow snaps and give it to the upholsterer?
Am I missing something here?

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Couple of hundred?? Must be that American dollar ;-)

If there are snaps already on the deck, it's best to fabricate the pad then lay it in place and mark the position of the snaps. Usually something they can do on sight. Besides, if they measure for the snaps and they don't lineup, it's on them, if you provide a template and they don't line up, it's on you. There's no substitute for having the actual pad there to mark the snap locations.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » February 13th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Any local upholstery shop can easily make the pads for a couple hundred dollars, right?

Nobody is even going to walk near their machine for a couple of hundred dollars on this. I bet a pair of pads the correct size will cost $600-750US.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » February 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm

That's about right Lyndon. A client priced one out recently at $1K CND. Mind you, that's using marine rated materials, big difference.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 13th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post Couple of hundred?? Must be that American dollar ;-)

If there are snaps already on the deck, it's best to fabricate the pad then lay it in place and mark the position of the snaps. Usually something they can do on sight. Besides, if they measure for the snaps and they don't lineup, it's on them, if you provide a template and they don't line up, it's on you. There's no substitute for having the actual pad there to mark the snap locations.

Ok, not a couple hundred, but considerably less than what Carver wants.
To have someone do snaps onsite, either the boatowner has to do it and find the equipment to do it, or hires someone to do it for them, probably negating any savings from buying from someone other than Carver.
Personally, I feel confident that I can come up with a very accurate template, something I'm sure more than a few boatowners are able to do.

Return to “General Boating Discussion”