Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Isenglass

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
USAFRet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 280 Express
5.7Ltr Penta DuoProp

Isenglass

Postby USAFRet » July 2nd, 2013, 4:01 pm

So....the plastic windows are not discolored but are covered with scratches. I'm going to see what the marina store has to refurbish the surface tomorrow. I hope I can polish them out. If not, it may be time to call the canvas guy to perform the modifications we've been talking about over the last two weeks. Do you guys have a reliable way to do this?

United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Re: Isenglass

Postby Seif911 » July 2nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

Hello,
I just had my entire camper top restitched and a few windows replaced. The windows the upholstry guy did not replace, he told me to use a 3M reconditioning product. I'd love to tell you what it is but honestly have not looked for it yet. Good luck and I'll be watching the thread to see if you find it :-D
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » July 2nd, 2013, 4:49 pm

I have used Meguiars Plastx Polish and for more aggressive marks, Yacht Brite Pro Polish. I used a buffing machine as recommended by a boat detailer always moving to prevent swirls and heat. Each piece was laid out on a table with towels underneath, painters tape covering the canvas edges, and clamps to hold it in place. It was very successful until the age deteriorated the stitching to the point that I just had all the canvas and glass replaced last week. It was not in the budget but you have to protect the investment.

Good luck.
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 2nd, 2013, 5:09 pm

Plexus. Motorcycle guys use it on their visors, Pilots use it on their canopies. Eyeglass wearers use it on their plastic lenses.
Clean the vinyl with water and a very soft towel. Dry it with another soft towel. Spray the Plexus on, and just keep wiping with another very soft towel until it's all shiny and clear. Works wonders.
No need to work hard - work smart!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
USAFRet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 280 Express
5.7Ltr Penta DuoProp

Postby USAFRet » July 2nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

OK...thanks for your inputs! Other than cruising around, my long weekend will consist of a: Dodging rain storms b: Waterproofing my canvas top c: Isinglass d: Replacing my windshield wiper blades. The rain may prevent me from b and c, but a and d are mandatory. My blades are weather rotted so I hope I can find replacements locally. Thanks again for your advice all.

MissWhit's
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby MissWhit's » July 3rd, 2013, 6:40 pm

I use PLEXIGLASS as it does remove mild scratches or I should say fills them in. It is a NASA product that was used on airplane canopies. A lot of information is out there on the internet about PLEXIGLASS and what I like about it the most is it can restore faded areas. I preserves your glass from UV damage and keeps the Isenglass soft and plyable. I have never used a scratch remover like Meguiar's Wax & Polish offer and I have read in some forums not to use this kind of stuff as it removes protective film that may be in your Isenglas. Isenglass has different levels of quality and some have this built in UV filter layer so be careful. When I used the PLEXIGLASS the first time on my Carver I WAS able to work out some scuffing by rubbing harder and faster over the area of need. I use it like windex for keeping my glass clean. I hope this helps. Regards, Johnny
MissWhit's
Lake Texoma, Denison TX
Port: EYC Marina
2001 406 twin 380HP 454 MPI

aviator
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby aviator » August 25th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I was going to suggest Plexus. I've used it on my cockpit windscreens a few times with good results. Another product is Prist [the arcrylic cleaner not the Jet fuel anti-ice additive by the same name lol] excellent basic cleaner... for yellowing and scratches you might try one of those headlight restorer systems but I have no idea how they would work on soft vinyl. You might try looking in one of the mazda miata forums IK there are several threads in them on vinyl window care/restoration for the soft tops.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”