Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 6.5 esz

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author
Rhubbell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 355 ACMY 454 XLi Crusaders

Kohler 6.5 esz

Postby Rhubbell » March 14th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Good evening everyone!! I am having issues with the generator in my 1997 355 acmy. It will run when the start button is engaged, when it is released the gen stops. Any help would be appreciated.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Kohler 6.5 esz

Postby Viper » March 14th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Is it actually running with the start button engaged or is it just the starter turning it over? If you're sure it's actually running, then you know it's getting fuel and that the ignition system is at least producing a spark during the start cycle. It could be a number of things. Have you tried starting it both at the remote panel and at the generator? A water pressure fault usually takes a few seconds after the switch is released before the unit shuts down unless the sensor is faulty. An oil pressure fault from either low oil, faulty pump or pressure switch won't allow it to run on. Same for the high exhaust temp switch. It won't trigger due to high temp just from trying to start but it could be a faulty switch. It may also be one of the control boards. I've had to replace relay control boards a few times and the regulators. A more expensive fault would be a winding issue, if it doesn't generate a voltage when spooling up, it won't run. Also check the start switches at both the remote panel and on the generator. After a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong once, and focusing on everything above only to have one side of the start switch on the generator at fault. This affected the run circuit including when I tried starting it from the remote panel.

Also try turning putting a couple of things in the ON position first like a couple of 100 watt lamps then try starting the generator and see if anything changes.

United States of America
SplashyLady
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: Carver 3227 Sedan Convertible
1986 - 260 Mercruisers - Kohler 5E

Postby SplashyLady » March 15th, 2016, 10:13 am

X2 for Viper's comments. Like he said, I assume that the engine is just turning over when the button is pushed, not actually running. A couple low-buck checks might make sense:

1. Check the oil level - the engine has a low oil cutoff and won't run with low oil
2. Check the wiring connector to the fuel pump - these generators have an electric fuel pump and they won't run without gas - I have also seen fuel pumps fail - it's usually a Facet fuel pump and you can get a replacement at NAPA
3. Have to done anything to change the operation of the generator? Think about what connection, fuel line, or other thing might be affected.

Good luck! :captain2:
Captain John
Past Commodore, Peninsula Yacht Club
Lake Norman, NC
Carver 3227 - "Splashy Lady"
Aquasport 222CCP - "Gone Fission"

Topic author
Rhubbell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Rhubbell » March 15th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I have gone through everything that both of you mentioned thank you. I am leaning toward a bad board. I am getting fuel, it is in fact running as long as I hold either switch, on the panel or the generator. I have replaced the hi exhaust temp switches, and the low oil pressure switch. There is still a low coolant switch that I need to replace. A friend told me about a "run solenoid" the that can go bad but I don't know where it might be located. I have had a problem finding the service manual for the model # 6.5 esz, but that is the model on the mfg plate. Any ideas? The boat also has an automatic crossover that switches to gen power after the generator comes up to running speed.
Last edited by Rhubbell on March 15th, 2016, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Rhubbell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Rhubbell » March 15th, 2016, 12:35 pm

:banghead: :banghead:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 15th, 2016, 7:08 pm

It's better to use a simple meter if you know how for checking parts rather than throwing a bunch of parts at it ...$$$. There's quite a few things that will cause this symptom and you could be spending a lot of money that you don't need to by replacing good parts. There are also a few things that I did not mention above.

Run the unit with the switch and see if it is outputting any power at all. It should be outputting some voltage while you're holding the start button. Here is a manual. Follow the troubleshooting guide. Note "Engine starts but does not continue to run after start switch is released" Also note any other suggestions regarding no AC output.

I think the relay you're talking about is on the relay control board but I can't recall if this is actually the case on this model though I don't see a separate relay in the parts manual below.

http://www.30plus.org/Chief_Plasma/Kohler-TP-5695.pdf

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiqi8LV3cPLAhUiuIMKHTJrDJMQFggmMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.partsfortechs.com%2Fresources%2Ftp5833.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHW1KpGXpMt0HVQVVsNLBe2_ULKuQ

Topic author
Rhubbell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Rhubbell » March 15th, 2016, 9:00 pm

:worthy: thank you viper!!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 19th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Not sure if you were able to repair your generator, but I have the same model with the same issue. Bad relay on the control board.
Kohler part number c-229388 about $300.00 ASAP (advanced service and parts) has them in stock in PA.
Also there are a couple places that will repair the board for about $100.00. I am going to have my original board repaired as a spare.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » July 19th, 2016, 10:08 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Not sure if you were able to repair your generator, but I have the same model with the same issue. Bad relay on the control board.
Kohler part number c-229388 about $300.00 ASAP (advanced service and parts) has them in stock in PA.
Also there are a couple places that will repair the board for about $100.00. I am going to have my original board repaired as a spare.

Thanks for the info Tom, good to know.

Return to “Electrical”