Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Cummins coolant change

DIESEL engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Cummins coolant change

Postby AaHubb » March 13th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I am planning on changing the anti-freeze and impellers in my Cummins 5.9s this spring. Has anyone done this before, have some tips or insights?
thanx ..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
ScubaPete
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 406
Cummins 6BTA 330's

Re: Cummins coolant change

Postby ScubaPete » July 9th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Yes I have done it. You don't have to drain any antifreeze to change the impellers. If you have a twin engine, start with the starboard engine so you can see what you're doing. Remove the three bolts that hold the cover on ( I assume you have a Sherwood pump). Your impeller may, or may not have a threaded end. If so, then a short 3/4 x 18 bolt can be screwed in the give you more leverage and pull to slide it out. Be careful not to lose the key that locks the impeller to the shaft. Check the cam plate and the shaft for wear before reassembly. If any of the impeller vanes are missing, find them. They have probably clogged the bottom of your aftercooler or your transmission cooler.

If your want to change the coolant anyway, then there is a drain filling on the underside of the horizontal pipe that is under the heat exchanger. Re fill slowly and bleed out any trapped air so you don't have cooling problems later on.

Makin' Waves
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356 Aft Cabin with twin Cummins Diesel engines. Garmin Navigation Suite with Autopilot.

Postby Makin' Waves » July 24th, 2013, 8:46 am

I am doing the same thing this fall (Oct 13). If anyone has done this let me know, otherwise I will post what I find out from doing it.

Thanks...
Makin' Waves
Charleston, SC

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 24th, 2013, 1:44 pm

I know there is a website specifically for marine diesel engines, but heck if I can remember the name of it.
Try googling "marine diesel engine forum".
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Postby CYO Admin » July 24th, 2013, 3:57 pm

http://boatdiesel.com Member ship is worth every penny.

Topic author United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » October 10th, 2013, 8:56 pm

Well the deed is done! Because I did not want a bilge full of antifreeze nor room for a large bucket under the engines I had to get creative. I used an old fresh water pump set in the bilge to pump up to a bucket setting on the salon floor. The input side ran through a short length of vinyl tubing to a funnel that I hung under the drain port. With everything in place I just connected the pump to power, removed the drain plug and sat back to watch. All six gallons were pumped into the bucket and not a drop spilled. :approve:
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Return to “Diesel Engines/Transmissions”