Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Changing Velvet V drive oil

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Changing Velvet V drive oil

Postby mjk1040 » October 4th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Neighbor has a 1989 Santego, with crusaders and Velvet V Drives. Oil was not dextron or type F, looked to be hydraulic oil. I suggested he change it out to dextron. Any one have an issue with that?
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Changing Velvet V drive oil

Postby tomschauer » October 4th, 2016, 9:50 pm

They should have Dextron. Who knows why they added the hydraulic oil. If it were me I would change it out, run it a bit and change it again.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 4th, 2016, 10:13 pm

I have the BW velvet drive combo trans and v drive setup in the Mariner...the factory fill was mobilfluid 424 ,which is a rare as hens teeth hydraulic type oil, kind of looks like 30wt......anyway I called BW and they said I could change it to trans fluid so long as it was filled and flushed with trans fluid at least a couple times, so that is what we did.
Now bear in mind this applies to that trans v drive combo....10-05-005... :beergood:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 4th, 2016, 10:20 pm

Oh to add, if it has the remote drives it could of used 30wt oil.....someone here will chime in that has this model...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » October 5th, 2016, 5:30 am

Thanks guys, pretty much what I suggested to him, I had 1986 VDrives and they had dextron in them, his manual mentioned all of the above types of oils. I suggested Rotella as a engine oil, but he went and bought Mercruiser 20W50, said he couldn't find the 30W Rotella? Oh well as they say you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'm drink!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » October 5th, 2016, 8:13 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I have the BW velvet drive combo trans and v drive setup in the Mariner...the factory fill was mobilfluid 424 ,which is a rare as hens teeth hydraulic type oil, kind of looks like 30wt......anyway I called BW and they said I could change it to trans fluid so long as it was filled and flushed with trans fluid at least a couple times, so that is what we did.
Now bear in mind this applies to that trans v drive combo....10-05-005... :beergood:

I have been thinking about doing this job in the spring. I assume it is just extracted via the dipstick opening, then repeat that process a couple of times.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 5th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Fraser, here is what we did...suck out the existing oil thru dipstick, take your time try to get as much as you can.....then add trans fluid, then run engine which drives the trans pump thru cooler etc, shut down and suck out again then fill ...run again then suck out and refill....then run and check fluid, if you did good then it should be nice and clear pink, if not repeat.
Actually they say you can pump it out using the bottom hose but I don't like undoing things that don't leak....according to BW the reason for the mobil 424 was better seal life and less leak chances...... :beer good:

Edit Oh to add ,the only reason I did this was I am an idiot...when checking trans fluid, being used to the old velvet drive dipstick with the notch, I thought the stick was in locked but as I found out it was not and pumped some oil into bilge.....lucky that previous people that serviced this boat had a penchant for overfilling things so just a big mess to clean up....woops, all good now... :beergood:

Canada
feeez
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2001 350 Mariner

Postby feeez » October 9th, 2016, 2:08 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post some oil into bilge.....lucky that previous people that serviced this boat had a penchant for overfilling things so just a big mess to clean up....woops, all good now... :beergood:

Thanks for the response....... on my spring to do list.

Fraser
Former 2001 350 Mariner owner

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 22nd, 2017, 9:07 am

I know this is an old post, but a little update.....I now have a source for the original factory fil 424 here in Canada, 18.9 L pails, so in the process of changing back to the original for my boat power package......very nice people, unbelievably helpful....... :beergood:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 22nd, 2017, 10:41 am

I don't think I would go to the standard hydraulic fluid. The later velvet drives call for dextron II, which is also a hydraulic fluid but has been improved over the years to stand up to more heat etc.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”