Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

AC on 3807 has been fited with thermostats, how to start pump first.

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: AC on 3807 has been fited with thermostats, how to start pump first.

Postby g36 » July 13th, 2015, 7:23 am

you said marineair (dometic?) is this new to you, has it ever worked since you had the boat?

does your thermostat look like this?

http://www.tampabaymarineair.com/mediac ... ort-io.jpg

if so have you looked at the programming set ups to verify how your thermostat is programmed. there are several paramters that can be set including it being set to either only heat or cool. only or auto changeover. this can prevent this compressor from coming on and also compressor time delay. if you dont have the small card with the instructions and settings check your manual or google the passport manual if not i can email you this. it might be worth a shot. i set mine to heat or cool only and change it for summer or winter . easy to check and program.
i just googled it for you
here you go
http://www.tropicalmarineairconditionin ... rt-I-O.pdf
also if you look at p12 you can set the pump to cycle on to verify the pump i would leave it in auto to cycle with compressor but you could change it to temporary verify pump output. again if there is more than 1 ac unit and only 1 pump there will be a pump control/relay box somewhere.
Last edited by g36 on July 13th, 2015, 8:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 13th, 2015, 7:52 am

on your electrical question probably your boat shore inlet connection is 2x 125v at 50amps each as my 405 is. the plugs on the shore cord are most likely 125 50amp plugs thus the y adaptor because the power pole is probably 250v/125v 50amp and the y is breaking that to 125v for each side of the y for your connector currently on the cord. since i cant see it could be a 4 wire on the single side of your y and 3 wire on each of the other ends. outer metal shell is ground. there will still be a change in the pin configuration preventing you from plugging in the wrong connector rated at 125v to a 250v supply thus the y. see the 50amp examples.

http://www.charlesindustries.com/images/gr_adaptb.gif
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Topic author United States of America
justtls
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby justtls » September 5th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Thanks for everybody's input. Things have gotten very strange with this AC stuff. Came out to boat today and plugged my power cable (50 AMP AC Side) into the other side of the post on doc. Tried the AC and they all worked, all three. I checked that water was exiting from the correct places and it was, great right? Wrong after twenty minutes the Pumps all shut down and the fans just stayed on. I noticed that I was no longer drawing AMPS on the AC side. Checked all the breakers and fuses, resets etc and no problems. Just for the heck of if I turned everything off and switched back to the other socket on the power post on the dock came back in and started the aft cabin AC, it came back on was drawing just under 10 AMPs. It ran perfectly for about 15 - 20 minutes and then I notices I was not pulling AMPs again on the AC side of the Panel, sure enough the the Compressor had stopped, keep in mind this AC was set to run/on and cool, not set on y temp. Has anybody ever seen this before??? Please help, its to hot to be without AC.....

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » September 6th, 2015, 8:45 pm

borrow somebody's 50a cord and try it.If that doesn't do it, I'd kill all the power and pull the incoming plug, and check the connections. Then on the the circuit panel. and keep going. Everything should be free of corrosion and very tight.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”