Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1998 Mariner gas tank removal (video)

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

anothernewb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner
Twin Mercruiser 5.7l Horizon
Garmin 4212

Re: 1998 Mariner gas tank removal (video)

Postby anothernewb » April 29th, 2016, 12:12 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post For the benefit of those with the same model, are you able to post some pics of the bad areas on the tanks so they're aware of potential issues they may face in the future. Also curious, what does the tank normally sit on, just a platform? If so, I'd consider something that would allow the bottom to breath/dry out.

Here's what the bottom of mine looked like when I pulled it out. I went a different route to pull my tank though.

Topic author United States of America
Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998. Mariner 350 . Twin 7.4 engines / kholer 6.5 gas Genset

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » April 29th, 2016, 11:27 pm

I'm guessing you pulled your engines? When I had talked with carver they said that the engines would need to get pulled along with the Genset and possibly cut the bulkhead. I decided to avoid that route. Lol. There is no mistaken where your leaks was :-O
1998 350 Mariner

anothernewb
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 350 Mariner
Twin Mercruiser 5.7l Horizon
Garmin 4212

Postby anothernewb » May 1st, 2016, 11:41 pm

Both motors were toast when I bought the boat so they were pulled anyways. When the starboard tanks was replaced in 07 they cut on the stringer to get the tank out. When I did the port side this year I refused to cut on the hull so I got creative with a sawz-all on the tank and had the tank built slightly differently. You can see what I did in my build thread in the project center.

I confirmed my leak by pressure testing the tank in hull. After I pulled the tank you could see a couple pin holes but I picked at them to the size you see in my picture.

Off topic but since I have your attention, any way you can take a look inside your engine room and tell me where the water lines for your prop shaft seals hook up? It was 5 months ago since I took mine apart and I'm having a hard time figuring it out . Thanks

Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » May 2nd, 2016, 6:33 pm

I will probably be down to my boat this weekend and don't mind helping anyway I can. Mine might be different since I have the 7.4's Send me your number and email address in a PM and I can call you and or send you some photos to your email.
1998 350 Mariner

Wkuhilltopperfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Wkuhilltopperfan » May 27th, 2016, 9:10 am

Small update..... No more leaks! Although we could never find the actual hole in the tank, having the new bottom resolved the issue.
1998 350 Mariner

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”