Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
sailorcal
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 320 voyager 1994

water leak

Postby sailorcal » September 5th, 2013, 10:58 am

I have a water leak problem with my '94 carver 320. The leak is not a drip, but a small flow causing the bilge pump to cycle every hour or so. It appears to be coming from the stbd exhaust area. When I tilted the boat to get the exhaust exit fitting out of the water it stopped. Thinking that it may be a fitting tightner that I cannot get at till next years haulout, I decided to try and seal it internally for a temporary repair. I dried two internal fitting interfaces where the pipe and fittings fit into each other, cleaned them and applied an epoxy to the fillet formed by the insertion of one fitting into the other. I also applied epoxy to the bottom of the exit fitting where it meets the hull thinking that maybe the flange was not properly sealed. When I then let the exhaust go back into the water, the leak came back just as before.
I cannot see anywhere else that the water can be coming from. I cannot feel any cracks in the fittings, though the rate of flow would presume a significant size. The genset exhaust beside the engine exhaust is not submerged as it is a little higher than the larger engine exhaust. The water level in the exhaust is only 1/4 to 1/2 inch, not very much.

Any ideas out there? I'm stumped.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”