Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1998 350 Mariner 5.0 Merc 3000RPM WOT

GAS engine, transmission and generator repair and maintenance discussion forum.

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Re: 1998 350 Mariner 5.0 Merc 3000RPM WOT

Postby grizer » September 5th, 2018, 8:23 pm

@bud37, we have had the boat 4 years and this issue is new (last month or so), the engines are mpi w merc coolfuel2 pump, batteries new last year and seem to be in great shape (no slow cranking or anything like that), ECM not throwing any codes.

United States of America
CptBacardi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38 Santego (not an aft cabin)

Postby CptBacardi » September 6th, 2018, 11:16 pm

My GUESS: low voltage from the batteries. Seen similar issues before. Free for you to diagnose yourself. Put a multimeter on it.
1989 Carver 38 Santego

Topic author United States of America
grizer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby grizer » September 15th, 2018, 8:18 am

@tomschauer - I understand that but am trying to understand what else could be the issue, what conditions need to be satisfied for the fuel pump to work? Only voltage and fuel in? It would seem like there is something else and it is odd that both engines behave the same way. I guess I am trying to see if there is something else that is common to both engines that could be the culprit.
@bud37 - my original post covered all of your questions, we have had the boat 4 yrs, it just started doing this summer, these are MPI engines (Merc 350s w Cool Fuel 2 pumps), batteries are perfect.

Return to “Gas Engines/Transmissions”