Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Replacing waste / holding tanks

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Replacing waste / holding tanks

Postby km1125 » June 21st, 2019, 10:35 am

ColRon wrote:Source of the post If your at that point where you have to replace them, have you considered upgrading to a purasan system? I have one on Escape Plan. No more worrying about smell and having to do pump outs. As it Always seemed to need emptying at the most in -opportune times.. IMO was worth the additional cost. Just have to remember to keep treatment tablets in the cartridge.

Can you use that anywhere but offshore? Most of our boating is in 'no discharge' zones, so (besides the price) it's a 'non-starter' for us.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 21st, 2019, 10:54 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post
ColRon wrote:Source of the post If your at that point where you have to replace them, have you considered upgrading to a purasan system? I have one on Escape Plan. No more worrying about smell and having to do pump outs. As it Always seemed to need emptying at the most in -opportune times.. IMO was worth the additional cost. Just have to remember to keep treatment tablets in the cartridge.

Can you use that anywhere but offshore? Most of our boating is in 'no discharge' zones, so (besides the price) it's a 'non-starter' for us.

You would have to check for you area, but here in Kentucky and Tennessee where I am they are legal for use. Now you can’t just run through a macerator and dump it overboard, it has to be through an approved treatment system.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
phazzie
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Postby phazzie » November 10th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Wondering how you made out replacing your aft holding tank. I will need to remove mine soon to replace or repair the tank. Any issues or pointers that might be helpful when I remove my tank? I have a 2000 Carver 356 Aft Cabin purchased this summer. I think the lower fitting may have frozen at some point. What tank/ manufacturer did you end up using? Thanks for your response!

Topic author United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2020, 11:40 am

phazzie wrote:Source of the post Wondering how you made out replacing your aft holding tank. I will need to remove mine soon to replace or repair the tank. Any issues or pointers that might be helpful when I remove my tank? I have a 2000 Carver 356 Aft Cabin purchased this summer. I think the lower fitting may have frozen at some point. What tank/ manufacturer did you end up using? Thanks for your response!

I did not end up replacing the aft tank. Shortly after I finished the forward tank I ended up selling the boat. I had most of the supplies to do the aft tank and sold them with the boat.

Some pointers: I wonder how large your tank is and if this might be an opportunity to make it larger. I had a friend with a 356 and he constantly complained about how small the waste tank was, but that might be because he also had kids that would take every opportunity to fill it up. I had a total of 80 gallons and he had 28, so I thought he had a legitimate concern. I got my tanks from greatlakesskipper. They were not exact replacements but a better size for my application and were MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I could find for a quality tank. Mine were stock overruns for a Larson boat.

Heat is your friend when working with the hoses. Even just sticking an old-school incandescent trouble light down by the hoses for a while will soften them up and allow you to flex them easier. Applying too much heat too quickly will be a problem because you need the heat to get all the way through the hose to really be effective and you don't want the outside to get TOO hot.

While you're in there, consider replacing the tank monitor system with an "outside the tank" system or one that uses probes embedded in the tank. The float-style monitoring constantly gets complaints about floats getting stuck with debris.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » November 11th, 2020, 11:55 am

I had a pursan on my trojan 32 I'm also on the Tennessee River fresh water of course and it worked great. I can also recommend the system. Like mentioned above may no be legal everywhere.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “The Project Center”