Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

'89 Santego, AC problem

Discussion of AC's, plumbing and sanitation related issues.

Topic author United States of America
bobwhorn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867. Repowered with Cat 3116s in 1993.

Re: '89 Santego, AC problem

Postby bobwhorn » November 9th, 2023, 10:18 am

The boat has been in TX quite a while so I have to assume the AC has been working. I think what happened is that the PO replaced the unit in the cabin with a larger unit, hence the pump issues. A bigger pump is on the list, but not at the top right now.
We'll see when I get gauges hooked up and add some Freon.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 9th, 2023, 10:42 am

It will be interesting to see what size pump Ron is using. It seems to me I remember hearing GPH numbers for Oem pump installations in that BTU range having flow rates closer to 1000 Gph.

There was a thread about that a while back I believe. It has gotten warmer as of late, water and air.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 9th, 2023, 11:18 am

What you can also do as a test.... turn off the other(working) AC unit and plug the water discharge. Then all the water from the pump will go through the salon unit. If it still has trouble cooling, then you KNOW the unit has a problem that needs to be fixed!! However, if you then get adequate cooling then you know you can solve your problem with a larger pump.

Doesn't cost you anything but time to do this, and the you have actual data to drive your decisions going forward.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 9th, 2023, 11:39 am

Dual 16,000 units would be borderline on a 500 gph pump IMHO. Midnight Sun has a 1000 gph factory unit pump with a total of 36,000 BTU split between 3 units. You have 32,000 BTU running on half the size pump. Prior experience with a single 16,000 btu unit on a new install required a 500 gph pump. The stronger the water flow, the more efficient your AC will become.

In other words, more is better in this case. I believe the minimal requirement is 200 gph / 12,000 btu however this is minimal and one must account for partial inlet filter clogs and loss of flow due to manifolds and elbows on multi unit applications. Go big.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author United States of America
bobwhorn
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867. Repowered with Cat 3116s in 1993.

Postby bobwhorn » November 10th, 2023, 10:46 am

The PO apparently replaced the cabin unit with a bigger one and realized he now had a problem. He bought a 1000 gph pump, but air cooled, and it would overheat after a few minutes, so he went back to the 500 gph pump. He no longer responds to my text or email messages so this is an assumption.
I've been having to flush the line to the forward unit occasionally due to a high pressure shutdown. Now that the weather has cooled down we'll try to keep the system going as is, but planning on installing a bigger pump before next summer.

United States of America
paulr
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 396 CY Aft Cabin 2001 8.1 Crusaders

Postby paulr » November 11th, 2023, 11:17 am

I am embarrassed to say I cant figure how to post on this forum but it seems there are a lot of you that know your air conditioners. I have a A/c problem as well on a 396 Carver froward AC and the mechanic said he couldn't' diagnose it because he could not locate the forward AC control box. When running just the froward AC the pump comes on and off intermittently. He found the pump relay in the forward bildge but not the control box. Can anyone help? Thanks

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 11th, 2023, 1:20 pm

paulr wrote:Source of the post
I am embarrassed to say I cant figure how to post on this forum

Choose the appropriate topic heading, at the top you will see New Topic, open that and go from there.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “AC/Heat, Plumbing & Sanitation”