Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

biG SWITCH over

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

biG SWITCH over

Postby tonyiiiafl » May 5th, 2024, 9:31 am

The old gal goes into the water Tuesday.

I am switching over to all AGM batteries. I just do not want to keep checking battery water. I have a 4D AGM odyssey for starting, 2 Interstate AGM 6V GC batteries (in series) for house, and a group 24 Odyssey battery for Genset (Kohler with Honda 2-cylinder engine).

To make this work so all batteries are not jammed in there together, I need to move the Gen Set battery. I was thinking of moving it to either under the dinette set where the water heater and forward A/C is. Should I be concerned of fumes building here for a battery explosion?

Or to the forward bilge (in the galley) of my 390CPMY. Yes, I would run new heavier cables to the Gen Set to offset the distance. Only other thing I thought of was putting the 4D under the aft bed with the A/C and that in my opinion is NOT a good idea as to get it would be hard in a situation, and too much "out of site/Out of mind."

Thanks as always!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: biG SWITCH over

Postby bud37 » May 5th, 2024, 10:27 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post Should I be concerned of fumes building here for a battery explosion?

Yes, the off gas is a real concern to be considered.Ventilation to outside would be optimum.

Make sure your current battery charging system for the AGM's is compatible with charging and maintaining that battery type properly not just a catchall.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » May 5th, 2024, 10:33 am

i have an agm profile i will use. what about in the fwd bilge or under dinette?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 5th, 2024, 10:47 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post i have an agm profile i will use. what about in the fwd bilge or under dinette?

Really doesn't matter where, good practice would be to ventilate that space remembering that battery off gas density is lighter than air so the fact it rises should be considered as to where to vent effectively.

I am sure many don't but that is on them and good you are aware of this.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 5th, 2024, 2:11 pm

I just wondering about your house bank. 2 6v in series isn't a lot of house bank. Of course you may not need it either,
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 6th, 2024, 9:30 pm

There's hardware under the dinette and aft bed that is not ignition proof so unless the batteries are in sealed boxes and vented to a safe space, I would not put batteries in those locations.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » May 8th, 2024, 2:32 am

The house bank of 220AH works. I usually stay in slips. However when I use a mooring, TV, water pump, fridge at night until 8 AM batteries will get to 72% charge. The solar brings them back to 95+% by 1 PM. if I had more room I would add 2 more . I do have the genset I run each afternoon for 30 minutes to have hot water, that runs the charger too!

Return to “Electrical”