Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Battery Charger Location

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
savvy123
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Riviera 2807, Twin 230 HP Crusader Engines, Bay City Michigan

Battery Charger Location

Postby savvy123 » June 8th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Recently purchased a 1985 Riviera and the batteries are not staying charged while on shore power. I am suspecting a bad battery charger, but cannot find it. I see on the specs it was optional equipment, but I am hoping it is there somewhere. Where would the battery charger be located? And does anyone know what model it would have been?

Thank you in advance!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1985 Carver Riviera 2807, Twin 230 HP Crusader Engines, Bay City Michigan

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Battery Charger Location

Postby km1125 » June 8th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I have an 83 model (but not a Riviera) and a charger was optional on that model too. If it wasn't ordered from the factory, someone could have added one and it may not be the same type or in the same location as Carver would have put it.

I would look at the batteries first and see if there are any additional connections on them. The charger could be connected there or could be connected on a 1-2-all switch if the boat is equipped with that.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » June 8th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Do you have a breaker for a charger on your 120v electric panel?
If you have one, most likely it will be fairly close to the batteries. Just follow all the cables

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » June 9th, 2019, 9:05 am

Do you have access to handheld volt meter? Or a fellow dock friend. If not i would suggest buying one anyway they are several models that are inexpensive and come in very handy on a boat or at home. Checking voltage,fuses, switches, continuity in wiring etc
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 9th, 2019, 10:08 am

Welcome to the forum....there could be a few things can cause batteries not to hold charge.....but in this case you really will have to find the charger, if there is one.......if you got a survey, see if there is mention of it there.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
savvy123
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Riviera 2807, Twin 230 HP Crusader Engines, Bay City Michigan

Postby savvy123 » June 9th, 2019, 4:54 pm

There is a 1-2-all switch located next to the batteries. The batteries are under the step leading into the rear berth (2 batteries). Each battery has the main thick wire attached, and an additional thinner wire which I was thinking/hoping is to the charger. The thin wire disappears into the body of the boat and it is not readily apparent where it leads. There is not a breaker for a charger on the 120v electric panel. I do have a multimeter. Is there a way I could check at the batteries to see if they are being charged by a charger? I was hoping someone could tell me where to look without having to try to trace the wire. I have looked under the rear berths and all over the engine compartment and not found a charger but I dont want to start pulling things apart; I am not that familiar with boats lol. At that point I would probably have to hire someone and am trying to avoid that as well. Thanks again!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1985 Carver Riviera 2807, Twin 230 HP Crusader Engines, Bay City Michigan

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » June 9th, 2019, 7:24 pm

If you haven't found it you most likely don't have a charger. With you meter set to DC volts you should see about 14vdc at the battery terminals if you have a charger and it is on. If the thinner wire is very thin, it is most likely the feed to your volt meters.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 9th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Post a good picture of your DC breaker panel. I would bet that those two small wires go to feed specific breakers, like ones for your voltmeter (as noted above) and possible for the auto bilge pump.

The chargers are almost always in the engine compartment. If you've looked all over and have ID'd everything in there and don't see one, then you probably don't have one. You probably don't have a dedicated AC breaker for a charger... mine didn't. A previous owner just tapped into one of the lines to connect the charger and (in pencil) wrote "battery charger" with an arrow to my second breaker.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 9th, 2019, 11:39 pm

It's been a long time since we had our 2807, but I believe the charger was on the forward or aft bulkhead of the engine compartment. Lift up the center engine cover. It's right there. No separate breaker. Our original was one of those blue Ferro chargers.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
boatowner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boatowner » July 24th, 2019, 12:44 am

Could be the battery charger, but there are so many things that can make the battery not charge. Have you tried another battery first?

Return to “Electrical”