Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Kohler 6.5 questions (MORE!)

Discussion of batteries, chargers, wiring, generators, distribution panels, battery switches, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Kohler 6.5 questions (MORE!)

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 26th, 2020, 8:46 am

I was looking at my 6.5 CZ unit and saw that it looks like there were 2 25 Amp circuit breakers (1 for shore 1, 1 for shore 2)on the control pane. It looks like the previous owner put a 50 AMP breaker and placed both Leads to the same breaker. ANyone else experience this? The manual shows 2 separate breakers.

Also, when I fired my unit up from the starter replacement, it would not generate power. However, if I turned off the circuit breaker on the Genset, then started it and turned the breaker on, it would kick right in. Any insight?

LAstly, It was running a d AGAIN shit off after 1/2 hour. Coolant was full. I am thinking that perhaps some. Bad temperature sensors )Kohler part 249872?

I am going to conquer this baby one way or another!

Thanks again!

Italy
KeithS
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 38SS

Re: Kohler 6.5 questions (MORE!)

Postby KeithS » July 26th, 2020, 4:43 pm

I can't comment on your breaker situation, but normally there are 2 separate 30A breakers for the 2 shore lines.
Your difficulty in generating power on start up is either related to too low rpm, it should be set for 63Hz no load, or as these units are getting older, the capacitors sometimes have to be bumped up a little. I usually go with the 25mfd on a Carver with the auto-transfer switch for better results.
Your shut down after 1/2 hr running sounds related to overheat. Get yourself a cheapo Harbor Freight infrared gun to check it out. For $20 they are good enough for your use. The cast aluminum exhaust elbows on that model had a tendency to plug up where the water came in.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Re: Kohler 6.5 questions (MORE!)

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 26th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Thank you! I thought that the no generate issue was due to low RPM. I had probably stretched out that NLA spring which lowered th rpm’s. It sits at 110 Volts, so I should adjust up a bit to 120. I do have thee 25 MFD capacitor it or and guess I will change it out. Yes, I am also going to order the 30 AMP breakers. I Thank you! I am glad I am pointed in the right direction!

Return to “Electrical”