Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2000 396 Aft Cabin - drainage of aft shelves

Topic author United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

2000 396 Aft Cabin - drainage of aft shelves

Postby tgebler » November 9th, 2021, 9:48 am

I have two shelves (at least that is what I will call them) between the cockpit and the swim platform. They are used to embark when tied up to a high pier. See photo where I am standing on "shelf".

Unfortunately, they both retain a puddle of water after a rain or washing because there is no drain. Is it possible to install a drain and if so, how should it be done. I assume some other 396 owners have confronted this issue. Thanks.

20180706_210255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Re: 2000 396 Aft Cabin - drainage of aft shelves

Postby uchu » November 11th, 2021, 4:41 pm

I hope other members can share their ideas. Short of drilling a draining hole on a corner of the platform, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Our boat has similar areas where rain water accumulates. The solution? We're moving to a covered slip next season :-D . Not the main reason for moving, of course, but it's a bonus.

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » November 12th, 2021, 9:01 am

I have thought about drilling hole(s) but I am concerned about what is inside. Hope someone else was braver than me.

tgebler
First Mate
First Mate

Postby tgebler » December 27th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Has anyone addressed the issue of the water pooling on the aft shelves?

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » December 27th, 2021, 3:15 pm

When ever I get water sitting on a spot on my boat I just take a towel to it. I don't worry too much about that. As for drilling hole(s) to allow for drainage will create bigger problems down the road IMHO. I avoid drilling holes or putting screws into the gel coat at all cost.

You will find a balsa core in that step. If water gets in there, it will wick into the balsa and destroy the step ultimately resulting in a recore, $$$$.

Not trying to minimize the issue, but I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Greg

Return to “The Project Center”