Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Pulling wires through transom 405 Aft Cabin

Topic author United States of America
Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizon engines

Pulling wires through transom 405 Aft Cabin

Postby Mikwallace » August 20th, 2023, 5:18 pm

I’m researching several winter projects some of which require drilling holes through transom and running wires. If I do them I’ll make separate threads for each. Projects in mind are:

- Trim Tab Indication at Helm. Currently have Bennett Hydraulic (OEM I guess) Tabs but there’s no indicators at the helm and I just have to guess their position. I’ve researched and know the parts to get.

- Possibly stern thruster. Again, I’ve found the product and parts list.

- Under water lights. Still researching the parts. Recommendations solicited!

- RV100 Transducer that came with my Chartplotter. I have read and will do more research that a transom mounted transducer is ineffective due to Propwash? I don’t fish but since I have the equipment it would be cool to view the 3d products. Any input from you guys would be appreciated. I’ve also read at low speeds the transom mounted transducer is OK? Other articles I’ve read say put a thru hull RV200 in front of the props for full benefit.

ALL of the above modifications require drilling through the transom to run the wires. I’ve done this before on other boats I’ve owned without issue and feel comfortable doing so. However; with this 1998 405 Aft Cabin it appears to be virtually impossible to maneuver the wires through the transom to the area under the Aft Cabin bed area in order to send them to the appropriate location. It looks like the Aft Fuel tank blocks all viewing and access of the transom?

Is there a trade secret to maneuvering that area? My plan is DIY this winter when I pull the boat for inspecting below waterline.

Thanks in advance!
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’
1998 Chaparral 2330 7.4 L Mercruiser
2003 Chaparral 260 Ssi 8.1 L VolvoPenta DuoProp
1998 Carver 405 AC 7.4 Horizons
:captain2:
:usa:

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Pulling wires through transom 405 Aft Cabin

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2023, 8:31 am

As you see the aft fuel tanks are in the way. Fishing wires through the area is not a big deal but Personally I am not drilling through that area to take any chances. I did my projects about 8 years ago and did not pull my boat for any of this. all done in the water so no transom drilling. . Trim tab indicators would be nice but I just put them down get on plane and then trim the boat to speed. Ive bever ever had indicators so i dont need that. on my 405 I used surface mount underwater lights. I actually mounted mine on my trim tabs. They werent made for that but i adapted them to make it work that way. I really dont fish either. I had a lowrance structure scan that I use on my other boat so I did mount its transducer on the stern centerline on the boat and it works fine at slow speeds. I used a flat plate down vertically from the bolts on the sacrificial anode and Installed it as designed and my 3rd underwater light. Ran wires up and out of the water underneath swim platform nearest transom where they enter the boat all Sealed and water tight I've had no issues since.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 21st, 2023, 9:31 am

When you do it, definitely take some pictures and/or draw up some diagrams as I'm sure future members would appreciate it! I'd also be curious to see what you find and figure out. I've not been inside one of those so I'm curious, but I've heard access is definitely a challenge.

And if you're pulling the boat anyways to do the work out of the water, I'd REALLY be pushing for the RV-200 installation as that really would give you full performance. Putting the transducer on the stern will always be some kind of compromise in performance.

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » August 21st, 2023, 9:41 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post As you see the aft fuel tanks are in the way. Fishing wires through the area is not a big deal ………. Ran wires up and out of the water underneath swim platform nearest transom where they enter the boat all Sealed and water tight I've had no issues since.

Did you enter wires through the transom or swim platform? At center-line or offset to one side? Did you make stainless steel brackets to mount lights to trim tabs? Your method sounds easier than trying to fish wires around the fuel tank. There’s just not much wiggle room!
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

Mikwallace
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Mikwallace » August 21st, 2023, 9:49 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post When you do it, definitely take some pictures and/or draw up some diagrams as I'm sure future members would appreciate it! I'd also be curious to see what you find and figure out. I've not been inside one of those so I'm curious, but I've heard access is definitely a challenge.

And if you're pulling the boat anyways to do the work out of the water, I'd REALLY be pushing for the RV-200 installation as that really would give you full performance. Putting the transducer on the stern will always be some kind of compromise in performance.

Most definitely will take pics. Just looked at $$$ of RV-200 and removed it from consideration in my plan. I’m sure it’d be great and provide excellent view; however, I’ll use those $$$ elsewhere.
1959 Larson 16’
1979 Caravelle 18’

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 21st, 2023, 10:37 am

Mikwallace wrote:Source of the post
Most definitely will take pics. Just looked at $$$ of RV-200 and removed it from consideration in my plan. I’m sure it’d be great and provide excellent view; however, I’ll use those $$$ elsewhere.

If you sell the RV-100, it would take one $ off the $$$.

:-D

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » August 21st, 2023, 11:12 am

Mikwallace wrote:Source of the post
g36 wrote:Source of the post As you see the aft fuel tanks are in the way. Fishing wires through the area is not a big deal ………. Ran wires up and out of the water underneath swim platform nearest transom where they enter the boat all Sealed and water tight I've had no issues since.

Did you enter wires through the transom or swim platform? At center-line or offset to one side? Did you make stainless steel brackets to mount lights to trim tabs? Your method sounds easier than trying to fish wires around the fuel tank. There’s just not much wiggle room!

I ran the wires up through bottom of swim platform apx above trim tabs. Then on inside they were easy enough to see and grab by removing the access panel in aft cabin headboard on port side and access panel stbd side. Yes stainless plate bolted onto trim tabs.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “The Project Center”