Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New boat purchase

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Re: New boat purchase

Postby LateStarter » August 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
LateStarter wrote:Source of the post
bud37 wrote:Source of the post Are you considering this based on the price alone?.......the one I just looked at on YW looks like it may be a money pit.....How much are you prepared to do yourself or would you rather purchase a turn key situation ?

Engines look like new risers and coolers, hard to see all the hoses. Old style battery charger. Just some quick observations.

These really are different boats from your first choice, almost sounds like you are not sure.

Be aware that every boat is different, even the same years/models from the same makers.Each one should be considered on its own merit IMO.

I'm not sure which one you were looking at. I was referring to the one in Baltimore that Tom mentioned. I wasn't interested in either the one in Chesapeake City or the one in Essex. I agree they would be money pits. I'm continuing to look in case the compression test on the Carved 38 doesn't go well, because I don't think the seller will take off the cost of another engine. IMO he doesn't want the test done. Yes Tom I agree that the 355 is a nicer boat. I am also going to look at the 1998 in Baltimore on YW that has 700 hours.
I haven't been able to find out any info on the 34's hull.

The 34 in Baltimore for 35,900...

That's the one I'm going to look at. What about the pictures made you conclude that it looked like a money pit?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am

LateStarter wrote:Source of the post That's the one I'm going to look at. What about the pictures made you conclude that it looked like a money pit?

First overall impression....gel chalky, carpet worn dirty, upholstery worn/done, stains in one pic, maybe shower not sure, really old charger.....maybe ok much ,much cheaper.....remember just my quick overall impression, you may find something entirely different when you get to crawl around.

Good luck man.......let us know how it looks in person, it will be interesting to see how accurate looking at some pics really is.....sometimes the hunt is the best part... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 23rd, 2019, 9:55 am

The bridge seat is dirty and the salon is definitely dated. I see what you mean about the chalky gel -- didn't spot that when I first looked. The low engine hours and the steps from swim ladder & to the bridge are what first got my attention. As Tom said in his post, it's the end of the season with haul out and storage coming up, so that will definitely be part of negotiating price along with cost of updating the electronics package. It all might be moot, I left a message for the broker yesterday morning and called him again in the afternoon. He was supposed to get back to me but I haven't heard yet. He claims to be jammed up until next Tuesday, and that he only took over the listing. I'll try him once more later this morning, but I'm not going to chase him.
Thanks for your insights, and I'll let you know how accurate your impressions were IF I ever get to see it.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 23rd, 2019, 10:36 am

Latestarter, if you are from Hershey, assume you plan to be based on the upper bay. If this is the case, don't get to hung up on electronics or buying a new "package". All you really need is a decent plotter and depth finder. Unless you plan on a lot of night boating you don't need radar, and even then, it wont see 95% of the thousands of crab traps that will be in your path.
:banghead:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 23rd, 2019, 10:39 am

You may also want to contact knot10 yacht sales in kent narrows. They are the most active brokers around and seem to get their clients to list at reasonable prices for quick sales.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 23rd, 2019, 3:03 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post You may also want to contact knot10 yacht sales in kent narrows. They are the most active brokers around and seem to get their clients to list at reasonable prices for quick sales.

Thanks I will. Yes, I will be based in the upper bay but plan to eventually try to head up towards New England and down the ICW to Florida. Ranger42c on the Yacht forum says that the 1993 Silverton 34 had a solid core.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » September 10th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Any news on your prospective boat purchase?

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » September 14th, 2019, 11:08 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Any news on your prospective boat purchase?

I walked away from the Santego 38, because the seller did not want me to compression test the other engine while it was at Galahad for the new install. Didn't want it done there since he was using another marina for the sale. As for the 405 that you had mentioned at Galahad, they will not work with the buyer's broker and split the commission. So the search continues.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 14th, 2019, 8:26 pm

LateStarter wrote:Source of the post
tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Any news on your prospective boat purchase?

I walked away from the Santego 38, because the seller did not want me to compression test the other engine while it was at Galahad for the new install. Didn't want it done there since he was using another marina for the sale. As for the 405 that you had mentioned at Galahad, they will not work with the buyer's broker and split the commission. So the search continues.

I think you made the right decision......just sounded off.....good luck with the continuing search..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » September 14th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Yeah, that sounds fishy...like maybe he really didn’t want a compression test at all and was afraid of what might be discovered...especially since their already replacing one engine.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”