Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New boat purchase

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carved 38

Re: New boat purchase

Postby LateStarter » August 22nd, 2019, 9:10 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Are you considering this based on the price alone?.......the one I just looked at on YW looks like it may be a money pit.....How much are you prepared to do yourself or would you rather purchase a turn key situation ?

Engines look like new risers and coolers, hard to see all the hoses. Old style battery charger. Just some quick observations.

These really are different boats from your first choice, almost sounds like you are not sure.

Be aware that every boat is different, even the same years/models from the same makers.Each one should be considered on its own merit IMO.

I'm not sure which one you were looking at. I was referring to the one in Baltimore that Tom mentioned. I wasn't interested in either the one in Chesapeake City or the one in Essex. I agree they would be money pits. I'm continuing to look in case the compression test on the Carved 38 doesn't go well, because I don't think the seller will take off the cost of another engine. IMO he doesn't want the test done. Yes Tom I agree that the 355 is a nicer boat. I am also going to look at the 1998 in Baltimore on YW that has 700 hours.
I haven't been able to find out any info on the 34's hull.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 9:15 pm

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/s ... %20listing

here is a 41. Not sure where your budget is, but this will have a lot more room than the 34 and the 38 carver. Bigger shower too. asking price is never selling price. Maybe worth a look.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/s ... %20listing

here is a 41. Not sure where your budget is, but this will have a lot more room than the 34 and the 38 carver. Bigger shower too. asking price is never selling price. Maybe worth a look.

It's a nice boat but used a ladder from swim platform and to reach the bridge

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

yea, ladders suck. My wife ruled out any boat with a ladder. You may need to go a couple years newer.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 9:48 pm

https://www.galahadmarine.com/inventory ... lYear|desc
Check out Galahad. Two you might be interested in a Silverton 352 and Carver 405. My wife actually wanted the 405 over our 355 but they wanted 100k and wouldn't budge. They are now (5 years later) down to 64k. Since we looked at it years ago, the canvas is now shot and the acrylic aft deck panels are missing due to a couple freak storms in the last couple years. Not sure why the owner didn't have insurance make repairs?

You could probably get a really good deal. It wont be a fast boat but really roomy.
If you look, ask if Bruce Jamison is still working sales. Stay away from Steve Parker.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Oh, and on the 405 the 360 hours are original with original engines. It was sold in northeast and spent most of its life in rockhall. It did (and hopefully still has) all service records and running logs since purchased new for over 400k.

LateStarter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby LateStarter » August 22nd, 2019, 10:58 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post https://www.galahadmarine.com/inventory ... lYear|desc
Check out Galahad. Two you might be interested in a Silverton 352 and Carver 405. My wife actually wanted the 405 over our 355 but they wanted 100k and wouldn't budge. They are now (5 years later) down to 64k. Since we looked at it years ago, the canvas is now shot and the acrylic aft deck panels are missing due to a couple freak storms in the last couple years. Not sure why the owner didn't have insurance make repairs?

You could probably get a really good deal. It wont be a fast boat but really roomy.
If you look, ask if Bruce Jamison is still working sales. Stay away from Steve Parker.

Both look like nice boats. On the Carver, it has Crusader model 502's. In forums I've found conflicting reviews. Some said that they were bad lil burners and that replacement parts are expensive and hard to come by because they were only in production for a couple of years. Parker is the contact On both boats.

On another note, while searching for the 502's, I came across a crusader thread on www.lakeontariounited.com on crusaders that talked about the FWC 454's lasting 3000+ hours. A couple of boaters mentioned only using oil that contain s zinc. Have you ever heard of this?

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 11:15 pm

A 454 (7.4 liter) and a 502 (8.2 liter) are the same engine. I forget if the bore is bigger or the stroke longer on the 502. Both very tough, just cant keep them on the redline for long periods. They are truck engines made to pull long and hard but not scream at redline.
As far as oil, bring that up and you will have a whole new thread. I am a mobile 1 synthetic guy, I run it in everything I own, even my lawn equipment.
I do believe regular maintenance with any quality oil and filter, and sensible operation will give many hours from any engine. You just need to be aware of any changes in operation and address them forthwith.
Even being a guy in his fifties, who built engines, trannys and many, many carbs, I would not buy a boat that didn't have fuel injection unless it wasn't in my budget.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 22nd, 2019, 11:17 pm

LateStarter wrote:Source of the post
bud37 wrote:Source of the post Are you considering this based on the price alone?.......the one I just looked at on YW looks like it may be a money pit.....How much are you prepared to do yourself or would you rather purchase a turn key situation ?

Engines look like new risers and coolers, hard to see all the hoses. Old style battery charger. Just some quick observations.

These really are different boats from your first choice, almost sounds like you are not sure.

Be aware that every boat is different, even the same years/models from the same makers.Each one should be considered on its own merit IMO.

I'm not sure which one you were looking at. I was referring to the one in Baltimore that Tom mentioned. I wasn't interested in either the one in Chesapeake City or the one in Essex. I agree they would be money pits. I'm continuing to look in case the compression test on the Carved 38 doesn't go well, because I don't think the seller will take off the cost of another engine. IMO he doesn't want the test done. Yes Tom I agree that the 355 is a nicer boat. I am also going to look at the 1998 in Baltimore on YW that has 700 hours.
I haven't been able to find out any info on the 34's hull.

The 34 in Baltimore for 35,900...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 22nd, 2019, 11:43 pm

Also keep in mind at this time of year you have a buyers advantage. Unfortunately, it wont be long until the boats in our area need to be pulled, winterized and winter storage paid for. Slip agreements run until October 31 and storage payment needs to be made before a boat is pulled. Use this to your advantage.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”