Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2001 Carver 444: survey says???

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

2001 Carver 444: survey says???

Postby Pete » January 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Beautiful day to go through the new boat. Went through the systems, tested everything (except the water maker; apparently it is common to not test this unless you plan to use it with ocean water, the San Francisco Bay "mucky water" is not recommended to run through the membranes).

The boat was deemed "above average" for its overall condition and the upgrades by the surveyor. Comps will be virtually impossible according to the surveyor, that is actually great news to hear.

Boat will need:
•new zincs all around.
•starboard rudder seal is weeping, time to replace.
•starboard trim tab minor repairs (couple of rivets are gone).
•waste pump discharge fitting needs replacement, badly corroded.
•needs bottom paint.
•one of the LED lights is inoperable in the fly bridge under the lid roof.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Re: 2001 Carver 444: survey says???

Postby Pete » January 7th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Beautiful day, beautiful boat, survey seemed like minor details which should and will be addressed.

Question: has anyone had to replace their "domestic" water pex lines? (it's not pex but is original water lines from Carver).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 444

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 7th, 2020, 10:54 pm

I don't believe I have ever seen a survey with that few notations, especially on a 19 year old boat. The boat must have been meticulously maintained.
I am sure the surveyor spend at least a full day?

Enjoy the new boat!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 7th, 2020, 11:56 pm

That is awesome. Should give you some peace of mind. When I purchased mine it has minimal structural issues as well. Rudder seals, anodes and the other things mentioned are minor. I also had a couple of SS screw heads that broke off on the hinge plate on my starboard trim tab as well. I redrilled beside the old hole and reinstalled the 1 1/4 inch screws. Look on the Bennet trim tab web site and the specs for the screws are there. The trick is to drill the hole to the right size so you don't break the head off the new screws. I coated the new screws in 3M 5200 prior to threading them in.

Are you also getting a mechanical survey?

Greg

Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » January 7th, 2020, 11:57 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I don't believe I have ever seen a survey with that few notations, especially on a 19 year old boat. The boat must have been meticulously maintained.
Enjoy the new boat!

Thanks, most of the day was spent going through it. Each owner appears to have outdone the previous owner with care and upgrades. It shows. I am now soon to be owner #5.
I am sure the surveyor spend at least a full day?
Last edited by Pete on January 8th, 2020, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 444

Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » January 8th, 2020, 12:00 am

Tireless wrote:Source of the post That is awesome. Should give you some peace of mind. When I purchased mine it has minimal structural issues as well. Rudder seals, anodes and the other things mentioned are minor. I also had a couple of SS screw heads that broke off on the hinge plate on my starboard trim tab as well. I redrilled beside the old hole and reinstalled the 1 1/4 inch screws. Look on the Bennet trim tab web site and the specs for the screws are there. The trick is to drill the hole to the right size so you don't break the head off the new screws. I coated the new screws in 3M 5200 prior to threading them in.

Are you also getting a mechanical survey?

Greg

I was considering it but with 575 hours and a recent clean oil analysis, I dont think it's necessary. Famous last words and hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Also, although the surveyor talked about just "popping a few rivets back in", there is a bit of corrosion on the trim tabs. I feel like it would be best to replace both when the boat comes out for bottom paint, do it right. In addition, get the thrusters to "like new" condition. There was some corrosion there as well.
Last edited by Pete on January 8th, 2020, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 444

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 8th, 2020, 12:11 am

Pete;

I had one done on mine for peace of mind. Oil analysis can tell you a lot. Some folks have a mechanical and still have problems after. Hard to predict even for the best mechanic. I had no major issues, just maintenance stuff and so for so good, touch wood. I replaced oil, all the filters and all other routine maintenance issues were addressed. Ran a Biocide for a while and started to use a fuel treatment called Stanadyne to improve performance and keep engines running clean.

As far as the mechanical survey it has always been recommended to me, but it is what you are comfortable with. You will love the boat, as I stated before we love ours.

Greg

Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » January 8th, 2020, 12:59 am

My dad used to sell Cummins diesels and he highly recommended getting a factory mechanic. Here is my train of thought...engines ran at their design RPM on the sea trial and virtually matched the performance documented by Carver/Cummins that I read in the specs. This boat has more dollar value upgrades than anything I've seen over the years and although I dont ever want to see a rebuild or two, it would not be enough of a deterrent at this point. All fluids, filters (fuel & oil) have been replaced regularly. The boat has a number of low hour cruises under its belt according to the broker for it over the past 19 years. 5 adults on board today, 3,000 RPM, 21 knots against the tide at WOT. 2,300 RPM and 12 knots cruise. It was comfortable and the engine harmonics sounded good when RPM was synced. I may still get a full diagnostic but I am ready to start enjoying this thing asap. Patience is not one of my virtues...
2001 444

Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » January 8th, 2020, 1:21 am

BTW, did you add your hard top? Looks great!
2001 444

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 8th, 2020, 1:33 am

No, the hardtop was on the boat when I purchased it. Centre windshield has plexy glass and a wiper blade that comes in handy. Sounds like you found a great boat. Nobody has patience when you are buying a new boat. If I was honest with you I would have bought my boat even if the survey found something for the same reason that you speak of. Boat has a lot of upgrades as well. I am impatient right now as my boat is on blocks, covered and surrounded by snow and - degree C temps. Will probably splash in first week of May. You are fortunate as you can boat all year. The start of the Toronto boat show is hump day for me.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”