Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Close to being a new 310 Santego owner

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Santego 310
Crusader 350XL injected, Hurth Inboard
Location: On the Mighty Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest

Close to being a new 310 Santego owner

Postby Capn Crunch » August 17th, 2020, 2:15 am

Hi all, I replied to another thread but realized after the fact that it was in the "introducing one's self" section - thought this might be more appropriate!

Been awhile since visiting as I solved some issues on my own, some with a mobile mechanic who's hit and miss with his appointments, and still have a steady supply of "round to it" wooden nickels in my possession, much to the Admiral's dismay!

Our Montego has been doing well for us when there's no wind, a booger to return to the slip in a breeze.

All this is leading up to today and why I'm posting in this thread - We just put a deposit on a '95 310 Santego today! Sea trial tomorrow @ 5pm PST!!!!

Any valuable insider issues I should check out while during the trial? Is inboard's, haven't had a look yet, did Carver do V-drive, or direct? Still Borg/Warner - or did they switch vendors?

Also, running into a HIN issue - at some point the HIN was changed from a Carver to a "homemade" HIN, presumably cuz original HIN didn't conform to new as of 1984 standards? Make sense to anyone here?

Thanks for any input/advice!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Close to being a new 310 Santego owner

Postby bud37 » August 17th, 2020, 7:31 am

Capn Crunch wrote:Source of the post Also, running into a HIN issue - at some point the HIN was changed from a Carver to a "homemade" HIN, presumably cuz original HIN didn't conform to new as of 1984 standards? Make sense to anyone here?

I would call Carver and check the HIN......or are you saying the boat is registered/licensed with homemade attached to the hull id number that is actually on the boat hull, or they changed the original number itself.

That 310 came with either twin V drives or twin stern drives.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » August 17th, 2020, 8:24 am

I hope you are planning a survey in addition to a sea trial.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 17th, 2020, 9:15 am

If someone changed the HIN to homemade, it was either a "Total Loss" for an insurance company an scrapped, it was stolen, or was abandoned at a marina and they couldn't get a clear title. I would make 100% sure the title is clean. Odds are you will not be able to insure it for any replacement value with the homemade HIN.

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 17th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Thanks all for the input!!! see TLDR @ bottom if I was too long winded.

So after a conversation with Carver it became apparent that the probable issue was a typo at some point in the process (last 4 of HIN originally was i495, in 2013? ish - when current owner purchased - number inadvertently was reported to WA DOL as 1495) which prompted a call directly to the state.

That call was very rewarding as the young lady (she must be young right? She's still working :) went through the title in detail (not sharing a complete history for privacy reasons she said) and title is clean, no liens and no salvage/stolen or any other notes or record. She read notes of other title officers and said in 2017 there was a change federally how HIN numbers must look (1st digit of last 4 was out of line, go figure) and at that time the titling officer made the change noting the previously reported HIN.

TLDR: Title is clean, with no liens and no record of salvage or otherwise.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » August 17th, 2020, 2:33 pm

The HIN is attached to the boat when manufactured and should never change. the last two digits (95) is the model year of the boat.

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 17th, 2020, 4:36 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post The HIN is attached to the boat when manufactured and should never change. the last two digits (95) is the model year of the boat.

I would never accuse WA state to use logic when dealing with anything they can make a buck on. All I have to go by (unless someone here knows of another way to source it) is what the state told me this morning - number change was done/required by the state, no liens, no salvage reports, nothing. Title notes actual HIN in comments, albeit with the typo. Probably wouldn't hurt to call back and reask with the idea that title check websites refer the new number as "homemade".

I'll update again if there's a hint of a problem... in the meantime looking forward to a successful sea trial!

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 17th, 2020, 4:38 pm

One more question If it's not inappropriate - is there a source within the forum for manuals? Carver's support page does not have any Santego's that I can find smaller than the 38.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 17th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Here is one for a 94....2610/2897....310 Santego

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... _94_v1.pdf
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Capn Crunch
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Capn Crunch » August 17th, 2020, 5:41 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Here is one for a 94....2610/2897....310 Santego

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... _94_v1.pdf

Wow!!! thank you very much!!! How did you source that?

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”