Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Window channel replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Re: Window channel replacement

Postby tonyiiiafl » August 18th, 2019, 10:10 am

Mine need to be done also, what type weather stripping did you use? I got very little help from Taylor Made on my 1994 390CPMY. They need it badly too.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » August 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Pile weather strip is available in a stick on version if you don't want to remove your windows and just replace the hair like weather stripping. Home Depot sells it on their site I think, just google pile weather strip.
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » July 16th, 2020, 1:06 pm

I'm needing to also replace the weatherstrip on my Taylor made windows on my 1994 Carver 350 aft cabin salon windows. Is there a process to remove the sliding glass without having to actually remove the entire windows as I want to sand and repaint the aluminum frames. Any of the previously mentioned details that could be sent to me as mentioned by others would be appreciated. Email address is eswickberg@gmail.com
Thanks

United States of America
89Convert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 356 Carver

Postby 89Convert » August 9th, 2020, 8:21 am

quickdecision wrote:Source of the post Just finished rebuilding the salon windows in a 3807. Bottle jack and 2 x 4"s allowed windows to be removed easily. Frames removed, cleaned, repainted. Re-bedded with butyl. Do not tighten screws all the way at first. Use 1/8" spacers. After about 2/3 weeks pull spacers and snug screws the rest of the way. Installed slick tape in the bottoms of the channels. This made the windows slide with one finger. DK hardware has the weather seals that seals the windows to the tracks. Make sure you clean the drain holes in the window frames. This is a major cause of leaks. Below are the companies that supplied the materials. Butyl can be bought from many sources. This is the material used to seal you car windshield in.

Ron

http://www.eplastics.com/slick_strips

http://www.dkhardware.com

Ron,

Did you order the 1/32" Thick X 1/2" Wide slick tape and did that fit into the channel or did you need to trim it's width? Thanks!

United States of America
bashy11
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby bashy11 » August 23rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

Have a 92, carver 36 aft cabin, would love to know this process too as well. Please share/ post!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”